PDA

View Full Version : feeding

feeding

ZolDrummer
12-18-2002, 01:45 PM
I've owned my corn snake for over two years now. I live at a boarding school, so my parents take care of her. Four weeks ago, they went on a trip (for 2 weeks) and we had a house-sitter come. I think that she fed my snake after one week (3 weeks ago) but nothing after that. When I returned last weekend from school, I discovered that her day light had gone out(they were on a timer). I don't know how long it had been out. That day, I bought a light and a mouse for her and dropped it (the mouse) in the cage. Usually, she strings right to it and eats it. This time, though, she didn't even seem to notice it. It even touched her right on the mouth. I noticed that she also needed to shed (this may be the problem) When I left on monday to go back to school, I didn't see the mouse, so i assumed she ate it. Now, wednesday, when I returned, I discovered the mouse, barely alive, still in the cage! It had been in the cage with my snake for over 100 hours and she didn't eat it. What should I do? Should I go out today or tomorrow and get a new mouse and see if there may have been a problem with the other one? (and, by the way, if I do that, what would you suggest I do with the old, still living one?)

Thanks a lot.

snakemanone
12-18-2002, 02:07 PM
I am not too sure but to me it sounds like your theory on her being ready to shed is correct,in which case she would'nt be interesred in food anyway,i think you are lucky that the snake did'nt get injured by the mouse.

the amount of time you have been away is just enough for her eyes to "milk"and then clear,i would remove the mouse(if you havent done so already)leave her alone for a couple of days then try her with a slightly smaller food item(preferably not alive,maybe fresh killed) should do the trick.

snakes can go a long time without food so i would'nt worry too much,i hope this is of some help to you.

good luck.......................STEVE