PDA

View Full Version : He died...help!

He died...help!

Damiera
11-06-2006, 07:08 PM
I went to get my snake yesterday after finally getting his new home completely ready and I went to pick him up and he was limp and his skin was extremely loose. Apparantly he was fine the day before but the person mentioned that he hadn't eaten anything and was probably hungry because they had no pinkies.
My question is...
They had no heat on in his tank they had him in...could he have died of starvation because there was no heat and couldn't properly digest his food given to him last Wed. or could it be just starvation?
I was told by the owner that baby corns have a high mortality rate because they are new but this sounds strange when he has been so active for the last month I have been visiting him. All of a sudden the weather gets colder and he dies?
Help, please!
Should I be leary of getting another baby one or should I go for one a little older?
Thanks in advance.

Lennycorn
11-06-2006, 07:32 PM
Well don't get one from there!
Sounds like poor husbandry and such. I've gotten hatchling before with no problems but you should check out the supplier (pet store). Better yet go to a breeder. You'll get a healthier snake and better information. And you idea of getting a older snake is a good thought. But I wouldn't beleive baby corns have a high mortality rate because they are new

Good Luck :cheers:

Damiera
11-06-2006, 07:44 PM
My landlord breeds corns and I was thinking of talking to her about her next batch of hatchlings. I was just so attatched to this little guy. He seemed to be fine right up until yesterday and he just died. I was told he was only eating once every two weeks, though.
Could it have been the lack of heat for digestion?

Hypancistrus
11-06-2006, 07:56 PM
Was he regurgitating? There are so many things that can kill a Corn. Babies can be more delicate than an adult, but really, they are quite easy to care for, so I would also suspect poor husbandry. Definitely do not buy from that person again. Did they refund your money??

And don't blame yourself. I lost my first TWO hatchlings- one due to a shipping error and one due to a very nasty disease. This third guy is doing GREAT so far! *knocks on wood*

tucker2608
11-06-2006, 07:58 PM
Im sorry about your little guy. Some times that can happen with any animal & with corns as well I'd say about 1 per cent. or less! Not enough food to grow quickly, too little heat,too many people . Sounds like stress to me. Try a breader like your land lady or others.

Damiera
11-06-2006, 08:45 PM
I am not sure if he was regurgitating or not...they just told me he didn't eat.

As far as my landlord, I am going to talk to her as soon as I get a chance.

I talked with the petstore I was to buy him from and they said they would order in another one and see how he does. I am very leary. Going to try my landlord first.
:shrugs: