PDA

View Full Version : New corn snake parent... need advise

New corn snake parent... need advise

lmdskychick
11-08-2006, 11:11 AM
I have been reading on here quite a bit but can not narrow down if my snake "streamer" is okay. Ive not had her a week yet, I fed her over 48 hours ago (small pinkie) and have searched for her BM or a regurg and I cant find anything. She was very active the first two days, I knew shed not be active after feeding but I figured after the 48 hours she would. The lump was gone around 24 hours. I just tried to pick her up thinking she would try to get away and she didnt, and while holding her she was just curled in my palm as she would under her hides. Shes albino and the white of her body makes me think she might be ready to go into blue but her eyes arent showing any signs of clouding. I feel like I may be rambling but I am so nervous, shes only 2 months and 7 days old and I waited a long time to get a snake and dont want to lose her. To make it easier Ill just post the questions.

1. Is it possible that I would not be able to locate a 2 month old corns bowel movement in the substrate?

2. Shes albino with little white, but her white has turned purpleish, is that a sign of her starting the shedding process?

3. Could I have missed her eyes clouding over?

4. Is her sitting on my palm as she does under her hides a sign of a problem?

Heres a picture of her the day I brought her to her home, I still dont know anything more about her besides what the store said, all I know is "albino corn snake". Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

This is Streamer (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lisamariewillbe/288684544/)

Susan
11-08-2006, 11:52 AM
1. Is it possible that I would not be able to locate a 2 month old corns bowel movement in the substrate?

Most definately! The poop...if Streamer has even had a poop yet...can easily get lost in the substrate.

2. Shes albino with little white, but her white has turned purpleish, is that a sign of her starting the shedding process?

That's a good possibility. Amels may get a purplish hue to them when in blue, as well as look "dull".

3. Could I have missed her eyes clouding over?

Yes. I rarely get to see cloudy eyes on my amels. They don't seem as prominent as on a darker colored snake to me.

4. Is her sitting on my palm as she does under her hides a sign of a problem?

She's possibly just used to being handled, or reluctant to move due to probably getting ready to shed, or she just likes the warmth of your hand. Exactly why can be difficult to determine. Since you haven't had her a week yet, and you have already fed her, you may want to give her some more time to get accustomed to her new home and reduce the current stress on her. And make sure the temps in her viv are where they should be, just in case she's too cold and wants the warmth of your hand.

These links will help you make sure that Streamer lives a long and healthy life with you:
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28341
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28342

lmdskychick
11-08-2006, 11:59 AM
Thank you, ive been trying to not disturb her and the room she is in is quiet with little to no noise or vibration. I only handled her to feed her and then today. I thought maybe she was dead so I picked her up. When I did pick her up she had been on the cold side. Shes on the hot side at night and cold side during the day. She is dull, when I got her, the orange and pink was vibrant... I guess Im just paranoid. Ive just waited so long to have one and spent alot of time getting prepared, only to find out Im not as prepared as I hoped. I guess some is just hands on learning that books cant teach.

Thank you for your response, I feel a bit at ease now.

lazer
11-08-2006, 02:27 PM
It's okay that's what snakes do when there getting ready to shed, they aren't as active and there color fades. So I wouldn't handle her and just leave her alone until she sheds. good luck.
P.S.
thats a beautiful snake

Nanci
11-08-2006, 02:33 PM
Remember your skin temp is about 91F, so unless you are really heating your snake up, she _will_ feel cold to you even if she's 85F.

Nanci

Nanci
11-08-2006, 02:35 PM
Oh, and I've _never_ seen my kingsnake's eyes turn blue- he just gets lighter chocolate colored on his normally very dark belly- that's the only sign.

Nanci

lmdskychick
11-08-2006, 03:55 PM
Thanks all, Im slighty nervous and wanted to make sure she was okay. Im thinking once she gets further into the shedding to set up a time lapse camera to capture it.

Shes just so pretty and after I get used to caring for her and such I plan to get another.