PDA

View Full Version : A tribute...

A tribute...

replover
11-08-2006, 06:01 PM
I posted a thread earlier about one of my normal corn snakes which was sick, lethargic, not moving, unable to shed.

I had said then that I didn't like the vet clinic here and didn't want to take her there. However, the next day, I was out of options and I took her there, as I had the responsibility to try my best to save her.

I saw a different vet this time, and he was very attentive, erasing all negative opinions I had of the clinic. He too over an hour trying to help my snake, and talking to me about her. He was honest in that he didn't know exactly what was wrong with her, but that it was very weak and before anything else was to be done we had to make her active again at least. We had to cure the symptoms. She had a swollen anus for some reason. I don't see how that can be possible because she was always fed in a separate tank so there was no substrate ingested. She was unable to shed properly and shards of sheds were starting to come off the tail end. She was very limp, had no strength, and was hardly moving, and when she did, the movements were very jerky and awkward.

He decided that first we had to solve the dehydration. I had given her daily soaks and mistings but it wasn't enough. He mixed up this formula of electrolytes and mineral water and through a tube inserted into her mouth, pumped fluids into her stomach. Then he put her in a warm place with heating to observe her for a while. There was no change. He gave (well, sold) me some tubes and syringes to bring home and also a bottle of that electrolyte powder. He also gave me some medicine which he said should be fed after she got active again. Taught me how to do it and told me to give her the fluids and electrolytes twice a day. He said I should make an appointment to see him again in 2 days. I was surprised that all that stuff didn't cost nearly as much as I expected. He even gave me a free hot water bottle to keep her warm on the trip home.

During my trip home from the clinic, I opened the box, and she was moving fast! I was ecstatic. I told my girlfriend and she exclaimed "You saved the snake!" She had no name, because I just have too many corns. Right then and there I decided to name her "Healthy".

So the next morning, I went to feed the fluids and electrolytes. She wasn't active again, but was no worse than before. I fed as the vet recommended, and within 15 mins or so she was active and moving fast. I felt a difference as she wiggled in my hand again, like she had strength again. I honestly thought she would make it.

So, tonight, I was gonna feed the electrolytes the second time. I prepped the formula and mixed it and put it in the tube and syringe. However, when I took out the snake, she was dead. She didn't move. She dangled like nothing.

I denied it for a while, and I applied ample lubrication to the tube, and stuck it down her throat. It wasn't easy, as her innards had started to harden. When I pushed the stuff out of the syringe, it just leaked out the mouth. When I took the tube out, she didn't close her mouth. I flicked her with my finger, and she just flopped about.

So I disposed of the body and went over and turned off the heating pad. That's the end of this chapter. I wish I had handled her more. It was just feed, hide for 5 days, feed, hide for 5 days. But when you have so many snakes, it gets like this.

May she rest in peace.

Dave123
11-08-2006, 07:07 PM
Soo sorry for your loss. Did you ever find out what was wrong?

Hypancistrus
11-08-2006, 07:12 PM
When my little girl died, I asked my vet to do a necropsy, which he did free of charge. It helped my peace of mind to know what had got her, and to know that I didn't "do it." But if you already disposed of her body...

Sorry for your loss.