PDA

View Full Version : Caught me two more at work.

Caught me two more at work.

Mauser KAR98K
11-16-2006, 11:23 AM
Gotta love this work site I am on. Caught 2 corns the other day at it. This raises the total corn count to 4 at this place plus 3 other snakes.

All are norms ad very young. First one I got is about 7 inches long but a big attiude to go with it. The other is about a foot or more; big one. Saw him climing the wall of one of the condos. The residence at this place have no idea all the snakes that are there.

Be warned if going wild snake collecting. The real little ones will strike and musk you so be ready for the strikes! As soon as they get older though they calm down.

Right now I have them in my aquarium with Cliff, my other one. Will transfer them to seperate homes but need to get paid first. :shrugs:

diamondlil
11-16-2006, 02:23 PM
Nooooooooo! by putting them in with Cliff you are risking parasite transmission

nhaislip
11-16-2006, 03:17 PM
i agree with diamondlil. You are definately increasing the risk of Cliff getting parasites or diseases from these corns. Also, I would really not take that make snakes from a place unless it is really likely that the population will be destroyed. I would only take one or two and leave the rest to populate. Collecting this many snakes could damage the population permanently and also do you really need that many wild corns? No offense or anything. I am all about getting some cool wild snakes. I am just worried that you are maybe taking too many.

leper65
11-16-2006, 06:59 PM
No matter how many you keep, don't forget the pics!!

TandJ
11-16-2006, 08:58 PM
Mauser KAR98K mentioned..

Be warned if going wild snake collecting. The real little ones will strike and musk you so be ready for the strikes! As soon as they get older though they calm down

This is also true of CB corns.. I have some that won't hesitate to strike at all, then leave with that nice fragrant musk * bleech*

Regards.. Tim of T and J

Mauser KAR98K
11-18-2006, 12:08 AM
The people who own these condos regular state that they have a pest problem. So, me pulling them out isn't doing them or the eco over there harm. There are lots of complaints about snakes and other "unwanted" wildlife over there. So my catch and release program is saving snakes. I will probably either realse these two as well, since I got the word I might be moving. If not, nevertheless, I will be buying a couple of little hermit crab cages for the other two come monday which is pay day.

Derek54
11-18-2006, 12:55 AM
The people who own these condos regular state that they have a pest problem. So, me pulling them out isn't doing them or the eco over there harm.

I dont get it. if by pest you mean rodent
Then you are doing the eco harm. The rodents will be way overpopulated. thats probably why the snakes are all there.

Im not getting angry at you, cuz i would probably do the same thing(except for housing them together), but im just a bit confused

BeckyG
11-18-2006, 08:32 AM
Snakes have to be just about the best mousetrap there ever was. I think you'd be better of trying to educate folks about the benefit of having harmless snakes around instead on playing into their fears.

Sheesh, I wish I had that many snakes hanging around.

Mauser KAR98K
11-18-2006, 09:16 PM
By Pest I mean anything that moves out there that an't human.

nhaislip
11-19-2006, 12:34 PM
I definately agree with Becky. You should not encourage these people that removing these animals is the right, and only, thing to do. You should tell them how, and what, these snakes are good for, and how their rodent populations will escalate if they do not. Try to show them one of these corns that you caught in the area and show them how gentle and friendly they are. Most people don't know that all snakes don't bite every time you even try to hold them. Given some people will definately be afraid of snakes and not want to see them at all, but don't show those people the snakes because that just will scare them more. Just educate the local public about the benefits of these snakes. I think it is everyones duty, as a snake lover, to try and eliminate the horrible reputations that snakes have and to help to educate people on the benifits of snakes. Instead of just collecting all of the snakes, leave a god few and tell that group why you are leaving them. Maybe also educate them on where the snakes stay so if they are afraid of snakes, then they will stay away from those areas. I also know that with some places, if you don't collect the snakes, then the people will kill all they see. Well people do that for a few reasons. First, because they are snakes. And second, because they don't know better. Maybe not tell the people who would go out and kill all the snakes they find where these snakes would hide. These people, who are to ignorant to even figure out what type of snake it is, will not look up what habitats they stay in. And also, as hard as they search, if you leave enough snakes out there, they will never kill them all. I hope this helps and educates people on how to educate others and to not just take the snakes from an area, because you will never get them all, and you have to accept that some snakes will die, but if people learn from it and learn to live with snakes, then it is good for the entire snake society.

MegF.
11-27-2006, 11:28 AM
It would have been better to house them seperately in a rubbermaid tub with holes. Dirt cheap and sometimes you even have them laying around the house. Anything is better than exposing your cb to disease and parasites that these are sure to have.

Nanci
11-27-2006, 01:31 PM
I have never met as many irrational snake-haters as I have in Florida. They don't care if the snakes eat rats/mice- they just don't want their kid/dog getting bitten- or they just plain hate snakes. I talk about snakes all the time at work to whoever will listen. I consider it a HUGE success to have had a coworker move a snake away from his garage with a stick rather than just killing it outright. He said he knew I'd have been furious if I found out he harmed it...

I also recently "made" a student memorize the six venomous snakes of Florida- because a lot of Floridians just assume _every_ snake is poisonous, and that means you have to kill it!!- and then recite them on command. This resulted in _lots_ of coworkers learning that there are only six venomous snakes here, and how to identify them- hopefully thus portecting all the others at least.

Nanci

BeckyG
11-27-2006, 06:54 PM
I've actually had people tell me that all snakes are poisonous. When I try to tell them that only 10% of the snake species of the world are venomous, they will argue with me.

Recently I posted pictures of all my snakes on my blog, and some one asked me "don't they bite and aren't they poisonous?"

RutherML
11-28-2006, 12:09 PM
I agree with the last couple of posts about people think that all snakes are poisonous and that they should kill them. I am in Texas and most of the snakes that you run into around here are poisonous but i still don't think that they should be killed because of it. There is a reason that the snake is there. I just recently purchased my first 2 snakes within that last 2 weeks. I got me 2 corn snakes now and they are my first ones. The people that i have been talking to at work think i am stupid to own snakes as pets. the only outlook they have on snakes is that they are stupid and will just bite anything that moves. they think that they have no brain at all.

Mauser what ever it is that you decided to do just be careful and if it was me i would just catch 2 snakes and leave the rest due to the eco. If those people decide to have someone come out a catch the rest (or i should say try to catch the rest because they wont be able to) then those people are ignorant. Like someone posted before me those snakes are there for a reason and its the food.

Weebonilass
11-28-2006, 12:40 PM
Snakes can be considered pests as well as rodents and cockroaches.. and the fact that one of the snakes was crawling up the wall of the condos means that it was a good chance that someone else would have seen it and killed it.

I about killed a gal out at my boarding barn who killed a huge black snake we had. The snake was resting under a tarp doing no harm and she didn't rattle at you... I had seen her several times in the indoor arena and she would just stop and play "dead" until you moved out of sight.

Personally, I think relocating these guys would be the healthiest thing for them.