PDA

View Full Version : next course of action...

next course of action...

Trimmer82
11-18-2006, 07:10 AM
Ok my snake "skooge" hasnt eaten for about 2 months now and she's only a baby, little more than a hatchling.
Ive tried frozen and thawed, frozen and thawed and washed, F + T in a tiny tiny conainer,F + T witha few cuts on it, half a mouse, F+T in her viv with her, Live (thanks to diamondil) and she refused them too.
My next step, what shoul dI do now? try to force feed her or go for anole scenting?? or maybe take her to the vets and see what they can do? Shes still active though not as much as used to be. She doesnt look weak.

and if anole scenting is the way to go, where can i get frozen from in the UK, i had a bit of trouble finding any online.

cheers guys :)

BeckyG
11-18-2006, 08:12 AM
Force feeding is always the last resort as it is very stressful to the snake. I would try anole scenting first. I don't know where you can get an anole, but maybe you can find some Lizard Maker. It is a scenting product that you can put on a mouse to make it smell like a lizard.

Ssthisto
11-18-2006, 09:10 AM
and if anole scenting is the way to go, where can i get frozen from in the UK, i had a bit of trouble finding any online.

You're unlikely to find frozen anoles in the UK - I've certainly never seen them here.

You might do better if you scented by rubbing (thawed) pinky mouse against a (live) lizard of some sort... and if you were closer to Yorkshire, I would offer a couple of frozen baby leopard geckos to see if they would make any difference.

Ssthisto
11-18-2006, 09:12 AM
Also - you CAN find Lizard Maker online here in the UK - the supplier I use for my gecko food - 'livefoods UK' - sells it.

Nanci
11-18-2006, 09:55 AM
Chicken broth or tuna water scented??

Nanci

diamondlil
11-18-2006, 12:29 PM
Oh darn, she didn't eat the live pinks? have you tried chicken-skin scanting? Thaw a pink wrapped in the skin off a chicken portion. It was recommended to me, and although it didn't work with Lil, my normal Calamity will eat day-old chick drumsticks when she refuses mice.

Trimmer82
11-18-2006, 09:00 PM
cheers all. I will try the chicken/tuna scent and if no luck then that lizard maker sounds great!

I love this place, everyone is very helpful :wavey:

diamondlil
11-19-2006, 04:07 AM
Good luck, if you want to try live again next week and I've got new pinkies, I'll meet you on my way to Birmingham to drop some off.

djreaction3001
11-19-2006, 08:00 AM
I've recently had the same problem. Is there anything that gets your snake mad so she strikes?
I was trying feeding in a little container and found that my snake doesn't like been locked in the small container and always comes out fighting. When he does I hold the pinkie so he strikes at it and once he nails it he will eat it.

Trimmer82
11-19-2006, 01:39 PM
I've recently had the same problem. Is there anything that gets your snake mad so she strikes?
I was trying feeding in a little container and found that my snake doesn't like been locked in the small container and always comes out fighting. When he does I hold the pinkie so he strikes at it and once he nails it he will eat it.

shes never striked anything yet sop far. I know she hates being put in a container for feeding though, she tries everything to not get put in. I may try holding her and holding th elive next to her face and see what she does then. I'll get some F/T tomorrow and try scenting them with tuna and chicken and see what happens :cry:

diamondlil
11-28-2006, 05:58 AM
Any luck? fingers crossed for you and Skooge

Trimmer82
11-28-2006, 12:35 PM
Any luck? fingers crossed for you and Skooge

Chick blood didnt work either. I think Invader Skooge may just be a bit stupid :rolleyes: Im a bit worried now, shes definately gettng skinnier. I might take her to my vet or see what my local viv place can do for me.
Force feeding her myself seems like i'll just really piss her off at the moment

Neyals
12-01-2006, 04:07 PM
If you live in london I advise you not to feed live mice as that is illegal.
Good luck though and I hope she pulls through for you.

diamondlil
12-02-2006, 04:03 AM
If you live in london I advise you not to feed live mice as that is illegal.
Good luck though and I hope she pulls through for you.
Neyals, have a search for the uk laws on live feeding before you give that advice. You'll find that there is provision for live feedingunder certain circumstances and with conditions attached. There has never been a case of prosecution where reptiles in the uk have required live feeding.

diamondlil
12-02-2006, 04:19 AM
www.faqs.org/faqs/pets/herp-faq/part3/section-3.html
The only part of Uk law directly applicable would be to feed live prey as entertainment/in public view.

Infinite
12-02-2006, 10:06 AM
Well, I never knew that. You learn something new everyday I guess.

And good luck, I hope you get her feeding soon.

Neyals
12-03-2006, 07:05 AM
ok i was just passing on avice i got from other people.