PDA

View Full Version : bad eating habbits, wtf mate!

bad eating habbits, wtf mate!

johnnylivs7589
11-20-2006, 09:12 PM
hey,
so, my snake hasnt been eating for about a month, but i tried feeding him by putting him and the mouse in a small container and letting them sit overnight. This worked and the snake finally ate. Today, i tried feeding Mitch again, but he wouldnt eat. SO, i put him in the container with the mouse, and after checking up on him a few hours later, he ate the mouse.
i was just wondering if it could be bad to put him in the container wiht the mouse. Like, i dont want to give him bad eating habbits. WOuld he become accustomed to eating in the container if i continue feeding him this way, or would he eventually just eat in the tank?

diamondlil
11-20-2006, 09:13 PM
Most people feed in a seperate tub to prevent substrate getting eaten accidentally, so your snake seems to be trying to teach you his good eating habits! :grin01:

chibitamalove
11-20-2006, 09:17 PM
You shouldn't feed him in the tank anyway. He could swallaw the substrate and become impacted. I just put my snakes into shoeboxes and they eat in there. It's a good habit.

Your guy's just a shy eater.

Do feed him live? In which case, it is a very bad idea to leave them in with each other alone. Frozen and thawed (F/T) is fine. I feed my snakes live, but I watch them in case anything happens.

johnnylivs7589
11-20-2006, 09:35 PM
i feed him live, but they are only pinkies who can barely more, so im not worried of them biting him or anything...

but, i kinda like watching him eat, is there anything i can do for him to get more comfortable with me watching him, or to get him to eat in the open?

bill38112
11-20-2006, 10:02 PM
I feed my snakes in their vivs, but will feed in a separate container IN the viv if the snake is being picky. I put the mouse on a saucer or on top of a rock to avoid the snake ingesting substrate. I do this because it stresses the snake less. At the risk of jinxing myself, I have not yet had a snake refuse to eat when fed this way.

sbourget
11-21-2006, 01:36 AM
I feed in clear containers so that they are not going to ingest anything, and I get to enjoy watching them eat without worrying that they're going to crawl off somewhere.
Generally for my shy feeder I just leave him alone for a little while, then once he gets started I can look in on him so long as I don't move the box.

MegF.
11-21-2006, 10:00 AM
Some of them will calm down as they get older and you'll be able to watch them eat. Once you get up to dozens of animals, there's really no thrill in it. You just want them to eat so you can feed the rest before midnight :) I had a few shy feeders that now will feed anywhere so I suspect that yours will calm with time. I would not push it though. It's best to get them feeding consistantly and miss a few months of feeding thrills than to not have them eat at all.