PDA

View Full Version : handling after feeding

handling after feeding

snakemom1961
11-25-2006, 12:06 AM
I have a 4ft adult, who we've had for about 3 yrs now. Until recently I would feed Tiaga live small rats in her cage and just leave her be for a few days. Partly because once she's eaten she is in hunt mode and is quite vicious if you try to pick her up. Now I have switched her over to f/t and place her in a big storage tote to eat. Today when I fed her i tried to pick her up and put her back in her viv and she tagged me good, which I was afraid of.

Since she is so nippy right after feeding how do I replace her back into her viv without getting bit. I can hold her at any other time without getting tagged, but not right after feeding.

Any ideas would be very welcome.
Thanks

Bobo's Mama
11-25-2006, 12:10 AM
Just tip the tub on its side over her tank, and sort of let her slide out of it gently. I do this with my amel who thinks I'm dessert! And its really good that you switched to f/t and a separate feeding tub. Better for your snake in the long run. :)

bean
11-25-2006, 12:11 AM
if her tank is big enough just put the tub in her enclosure and slowly remove the lid, letting her come out on her own...

Brizzle
11-25-2006, 12:14 AM
Yep. That's what I do with my snake. Even though he doesn't bite after I feed him, I like to do it anyway so I don't bother him.
I just put the tub thing in his enclosure and let him slide out by himself. He usually does so he can go straight to his little hidey hole after feeding time.

Weebonilass
11-25-2006, 12:27 AM
I do something similiar, although the last couple of times, I went ahead and picked him up. It's left over from the days when I was paranoid that handling them after feeding would cause them to regurge. But my guy has always been rather non-chalent about feeding. He's more apt to tell me to just leave it over there and he'll get to it sooner or later. :)

snakemom1961
11-25-2006, 01:28 AM
Thanks for the reply's that's what I ended up doing, tipping the tub so she slid back into her viv. I guess i was just shocked because she's never bitten me before.