PDA

View Full Version : Suddenly stopped eating

Suddenly stopped eating

becca anderson
11-27-2006, 04:18 PM
Hi, I have a corn snake about 45cm long and a few months old. You cannot see a bump when it eats two pinkies When I first got it, I took a couple of weeks getting it to eat. After that, it eats really well. It has just been eating two pinkies every five days. Last week I offered it a fuzzy and a pinky- it ate the fuzzy but refused the pinky. Tonight ( 7 days after its last feed), I decided to offer it three pinkies. I offered the first one, but it is not interested at all. Right now its in a box in its viv with a mouse. Why has it suddenly gone off fedding? The temperature seems fine and it has a hot and cool side, though it has been on the light on the ceiling of its viv today :S

becca anderson
11-27-2006, 04:23 PM
It is in a 42 gallon viv.
It has recently shed (it eats when it sheds anyway)
And its too young for the breeding season thing.
I hope I'm not overreacting XP!!!

becca anderson
11-27-2006, 04:53 PM
ok, I have quickly scented the pinkies with tuna oil and soap. I know that this may stress her out even more, but it's what I did last time to get her to eat :S

becca anderson
11-27-2006, 05:47 PM
It ate 1/3 mice so I've let her go back to her viv. Maybe she was full up with the fuzzy last week. Sorry for the overreaction- even though none replied XPPP

Roy Munson
11-27-2006, 06:31 PM
It ate 1/3 mice so I've let her go back to her viv. Maybe she was full up with the fuzzy last week. Sorry for the overreaction- even though none replied XPPP
Sorry no one replied. :( I'm glad she ate something. These corns can be frustrating animals. I'd almost forgotten how much I dislike feeding in the "winter" months. The short days can really throw some corns off of their feeding schedules. Sounds like you're already learning not to over-react. But I know how you feel. :)

MegF.
11-27-2006, 08:33 PM
I think you're just overfeeding her. A fuzzy and a pinky may be more than she can eat. If she's been eating 2 pinkies, move up to one fuzzy. It's not healthy to overfeed them. After she is eating one fuzzy and it's not leaving a bump, go to a hopper. Don't try to offer too often and once they are on fuzzies I go to once a week to feed.

Blue Apple Herps
11-27-2006, 10:01 PM
I think you're just overfeeding her. A fuzzy and a pinky may be more than she can eat. If she's been eating 2 pinkies, move up to one fuzzy. It's not healthy to overfeed them. After she is eating one fuzzy and it's not leaving a bump, go to a hopper. Don't try to offer too often and once they are on fuzzies I go to once a week to feed.

My thoughts exactly. 3 pinkies is way too much. You said that two pinks didn't leave a bump so feed one fuzzy. Once that stops leaving a bump feed a hopper, and so on and so on. IMO, feeding multiple prey items should be limited to pinkies only and only to two at that. I never feed two fuzzies, hoppers, etc. By the time they're ready for two they're also ready for a bigger prey item.

becca anderson
11-28-2006, 02:06 PM
If you's have seen me, you wouldn't have said I wasn't over reacting XDD. Yeah- the person at the reptile store told me to go up to 2 fuzzies :O, so I just wanted to test her with a fuzzy and pinkie, and then I has 3 pinkies left so I thought I might as well use the last ones up. I'm going to feed one fuzzy once a week- maybe he just wanted me to buy more food from him XDD!!