PDA

View Full Version : Spitting Up?

Spitting Up?

centauri_aiuken
11-28-2006, 03:34 PM
I posted in "Behavior" about Orpheus opening his mouth after being handled 'cause I thought I might have been making him regurgitate. That was about five hours ago now but he's still been opening his mouth so I don't know if it was just a yawn.

He just spit up some clear stuff. Not mucous-looking so much as water-looking. I just got him three days ago so I don't know how I could have possbly compromised his health!

It looks like there's a second lump aside from his eating-lump that travelled up his body a bit but maybe I'm mistaken? Could he be struggling with a regurge or have I hurt him somehow?

MegF.
11-28-2006, 03:50 PM
It's possible he has a respiratory infection. The liquid coming out of his mouth and the open mouth breathing makes it sound very much like it. I'd get him to the vet to make sure and to get him on anti-biotics if necessary. You might try bumping up the temps to around 90 until you can get him to the vet and do not handle him.

centauri_aiuken
11-28-2006, 03:54 PM
It really looks like he's trying to throw up. Is this something I should be really worried about? I might not be able to get him to the vet for a while, but shuold I be worried about losing him?

He just threw up some brown stuff. What could that be?

MegF.
11-28-2006, 05:15 PM
It could be a regurge, but if it's a respiratory infection it can kill them. Regurge is no picnic either. Normally if they are going to regurge, they just do it, they don't keep trying. I'd be concerned about it. It doesn't sound like simple regurge to me. In the meantime bump up the temps. If you have a red heat lamp, place it where it can get an area of around 90 degrees. I'd get to a vet asap.

Fenderplayer108
11-28-2006, 06:03 PM
Sounds like a RI to me, and those are nothing to joke about. Get that snake to a vet ASAP and the best thing you can do right now is leave the snake alone and raise the temps up a bit.

Good luck.

Ryan

BeckyG
11-28-2006, 06:23 PM
It really looks like he's trying to throw up. Is this something I should be really worried about? I might not be able to get him to the vet for a while, but shuold I be worried about losing him?

He just threw up some brown stuff. What could that be?

Yes it is something to worry about. Get him to the vet asap. In the meantime, bump his temps up a bit and no handling whatsoever. And don't feed him either. He needs to be as stress free as possible.