PDA

View Full Version : Orpheus Died.

Orpheus Died.

centauri_aiuken
11-28-2006, 07:07 PM
Thanks to everyone who tried to help me find out what was wrong with him. I appreciate the help.

I had him three days.

When we called the petstore the guy said that he had a suspicion that the snake had been overfed, so I don't know. I feel just terrible but everyone is saying it's not my fault.

Thanks again.

RIP Orpheus.

Weebonilass
11-28-2006, 07:10 PM
Wow, first time I've heard the diagnosis of overfed, unless it involved a lot regurating along with it.

I'm sorry about your loss. It really suxs to lose one, but it definitely was not your fault :( I hope when you are ready you'll find another handsome one to ease the memory.

centauri_aiuken
11-28-2006, 07:12 PM
He did throw up a lot, but I just don't know what happened. I guess there was a lot of stress to do with moving after just eating, too.

Thank you, though. You've all been very nice. D:

Fenderplayer108
11-28-2006, 07:43 PM
Thats awful, is the petstore going to pay to get a vet to check out the snake to find out what the cause was? Or are they atleast going to give you a heathy one?

Sorry you had to lose one, its never easy.

Ryan

bubble72
11-28-2006, 08:04 PM
Sorry about Orpheus. I lost my snake Shrek yesterday, it is horrible. I still have her tank set up, but it is all empty now. These little babies are so fragile and you just want their best. It is a bad when the first experience with a wonderful animal turns into a nightmare.
I hope your next snake will have less complications and be healthy as can be.
Insa

Flagg
11-28-2006, 08:17 PM
Sorry to hear that. I was a bit surprised that the store sold it to you right after feeding it, though I don't think that would have killed it. Must have had something else wrong with it all along.

Nanci
11-28-2006, 08:45 PM
That's awful! I am so sorry! I don't think it was just stress- something must have been wrong. You don't just die from stress. Please don't give up on snakes because of this! Wow- there are just too many weird deaths going around right now. This is NOT YOUR FAULT.

Nanci

Plissken
11-29-2006, 06:09 AM
I'm very sorry for your loss.

diamondlil
11-29-2006, 06:44 AM
Did they mean they'd overfed him? In that case they should definately offer a replacement. I know it won't be the same, but it's the least they could do.
No-one should have their first experience of snake-keeping happen like yours, I'm so sorry for your loss

BeckyG
11-29-2006, 08:57 AM
So sorry to hear that. There was definitely already something wrong with him. It wasn't your fault.

It's highly unlikely that it died from overfeeding, or because it had just eaten. Corn snakes aren't that fragile.

I hope the pet store will replace him for you.

Susan
11-29-2006, 08:57 AM
I'm sorry for your loss. It sure sounds like the petshop sold you an unhealthy hatchling (brown regurg sounds like a cricket instead of a pinky...plus the respiratory symptoms...and having let the hatchling get stressed by a move so soon after eating). But you also need to make sure your viv is properly set up before bringing a replacement hatchling home. You should also give a new hatchling about a week to settle into a new home before handling or even feeding it.

centauri_aiuken
11-29-2006, 10:28 AM
Did they mean they'd overfed him? In that case they should definately offer a replacement. I know it won't be the same, but it's the least they could do.
No-one should have their first experience of snake-keeping happen like yours, I'm so sorry for your loss
Yeah, they said they gave him too much. I'm not sure what else could have been wrong but either way it's just terrible. I do hope to get another one, after I make the proper arrangements. (Cleaning tank, getting probe thermometers, getting my heat straightened out, etc.).

Again thanks to everyone for your support. It has helped. ^^;

MegF.
11-30-2006, 02:00 PM
I still find it hard to believe that one extra feeding or even a too large item would cause death. Regurge yes, but what you had originally described sounded like R.I. and that doesn't come with overfeeding. I would ask for your money back as it sounds like your animal was unhealthy from the get go. I have an amel that you're welcome to have for the cost of shipping. He was one I held back because he was a difficult feeder but is eating fine now. You're not that far from me (I'm in S. Carolina.) It was one of my babies that I produced and it will have complete feed and shed records. Contact me if you want. Should be e-mail links under my profile or private mail me.

centauri_aiuken
11-30-2006, 03:00 PM
I still find it hard to believe that one extra feeding or even a too large item would cause death. Regurge yes, but what you had originally described sounded like R.I. and that doesn't come with overfeeding. I would ask for your money back as it sounds like your animal was unhealthy from the get go. I have an amel that you're welcome to have for the cost of shipping. He was one I held back because he was a difficult feeder but is eating fine now. You're not that far from me (I'm in S. Carolina.) It was one of my babies that I produced and it will have complete feed and shed records. Contact me if you want. Should be e-mail links under my profile or private mail me.
R.I. does sound like it. I managed to get a replacement that is looking very healthy and shows no symptoms of any kind of breathing ailment (or any ailment I know of), so I'm feeling very good about it. That's a very generous offer, though, and thank you so much!

MegF.
11-30-2006, 03:06 PM
You're welcome. I didn't see the other post about you getting a new snake until after I had posted here. Glad for the good outcome.