PDA

View Full Version : help quick

help quick

connord94
11-30-2006, 11:14 AM
i've fed my snake a fuzzy, he's almost 6 month old, but he's struggling to eat it, i fed him 3 pinky's last week and he took it down so i thought he might of been able to take it.

cheers

connord94
11-30-2006, 11:14 AM
forgot to mention, what should i do?, is he OK?

Shade
11-30-2006, 11:16 AM
Three pinkies is overfeeding. If he can't take the fuzzy, then he can't take it. Stick to two pinkies for a little bit longer and then try fuzzies again in a month or two.

Are you feeding live or f/t?

connord94
11-30-2006, 11:50 AM
I'm feeding f/t, he's took the fuzzy now, I've just gotta hope he keeps it down, thanks for your help:) It's appreciated

connord94
11-30-2006, 11:52 AM
oh, and thanks for replying so quick! ;)

Nanci
11-30-2006, 11:57 AM
The first time I moved Choco up to fuzzys, it seemed to be very difficult for him. He went from two pinks. Maybe not very difficult, but just like it took some effort- the fuzzy didn't slide right down like the pinks. So when I get a new supply, I feed in order of smallest to largest. Either he's better at eating them or I'm just used to him taking longer now. The actual bump doesn't seem too big once it's down. That's what I go by.

So what happens if the prey item actually _is_ too big? Does the snake give up right away- or regurge later- or it depends?

Nanci

connord94
11-30-2006, 12:06 PM
So what happens if the prey item actually _is_ too big? Does the snake give up right away- or regurge later- or it depends?

Nanci

thats just what i was thinking!!

i know they can vary in size a LOT, but is six month old about the right time to start on fuzzies? or should i still be feeding pinkies?

cheers again

Nanci
11-30-2006, 12:08 PM
I don't have my records right with me, but I want to say Choco is around 18 grams.

Nanci

connord94
11-30-2006, 12:13 PM
i dont have a set of scales 'sensitive' enough to weigh, just my bathroom scales which i don't think will do the job.

cheers

connord94
11-30-2006, 12:15 PM
OH!, choce is a cali king, you don't know how much i love those snakes!!!!:p:p:p:):):)

connord94
11-30-2006, 12:15 PM
oops, choco, not choce, curse the lack of the edit button!

Nanci
11-30-2006, 12:36 PM
Great Christmas gift! I use mine _all_ the time. You get them in a kitchen store. Yeah, I just told you Choc's weight because he could be big or little for his age- which I don't even know exactly because he was a gift (can you believe that???) and bought at a show so didn't come with a hatch date.

Nanci

MegF.
11-30-2006, 01:40 PM
Usually if the item is too big, they will regurge soon after, but it's got to be pretty big. They are designed to take much larger food than you think they can. They are opportunistic feeders after all. Never know when your next meal comes when in the wild, so eat what's there. He'll be fine I'm sure. I remember worrying about the exact same thing when I first moved my amel up in prey size. I thought he was going to choke or something. He did just fine and is a strapping 4 year old at 677 grams! I think it's like a parent with their first baby. They clean everything, worry about everything...by the time they are on their next one, it's brush it off if it fell on the floor....

BeckyG
11-30-2006, 03:15 PM
I think he'll be ok as well. If he can take three pinkies, he can handle a fuzzy. When I first move up in size, it does seem like it takes them longer to eat, but they all manage fine anyway. I think that maybe moving from something slick like a pinky to something with hair also makes a difference in how long it takes them to eat.

connord94
12-08-2006, 12:48 PM
i know its a bit of a late update, but thanks for all of the replys! he's just took another fuzzy now, and guess what, i worried again! it took him a while to reallign his jaw, but he's done it now.

once again, thanks for the help!

feel free to use this thread to discuss your own feeding problems!!

Nanci
12-08-2006, 01:13 PM
I've got this big white fuzzy, much bigger than the peach fuzzies, sitting in the freezer right now, waiting for me to be brave enough to feed it to someone. I know the feeling!

Nanci

connord94
12-09-2006, 07:35 AM
errmmmm. . i know youre probably sick of me now but. . . when i checked on monty just then i noticed something in the tank, it was smelly so i thought it migh of been a regurge, but he still has the lump inside of him??!? is fuzzy poop really that different from pinky poop, it didn't look like it was big enough to be a regurge either, but hey, you guys are more experienced than me!

have any of you got pictures of snake poop after eating a fuzzy?

i think im gonna move back down to two pinky's next couple of feedings, i've had nothing but worries and troubles with fuzzies.

thanx again

MegF.
12-09-2006, 08:30 AM
Fuzzy poops will be a lot larger than pinkies and might even sometimes have a little more solid stuff in it that they didn't digest. Most likely it's a poop if he still has the lump and if it were a regurge, you'd see it as a mouse...a dark, smelly mouse, but recognizable so soon after eating.

connord94
12-09-2006, 09:48 AM
thankyou for your help, must of just been poop from his last fuzzy