PDA

View Full Version : dry flowers,,important!!!

dry flowers,,important!!!

Wa$ted
12-31-2002, 12:39 PM
well my sis got these dry flowers .

you know the kind that gives a very good smell....refreshing smell

and as you know my tank smells like po*p

so if i use these dry flowers,,,is it bad for the snake,,,will it poison it,,cause what i was thinking was that,, ill keep my snake in another container for about 5 hours and in that time ill put the dry flowers that give out this natural smell.after 2 hours ill take out the flowers and leave the tank alone for 2 hours then put my snake back in,

i know its a dumb question,,,but just answer it

thanksssssss

snakemanone
12-31-2002, 02:14 PM
i would say

are you talking about "pot pouri",if so,i would say not to use them as they are prob bleached and scented with???.

If you are talking about natural sun dried flowers i am unsure so would'nt use them as they are also artificialy perfumed and being unsure would say better safe than sorry.

If you have somewhere to put your snake for a few hours, can you not use hot soapy water to wash the cage and rinse REALLY well and dry with hair drier or something??

all the best for the new year................STEVE

Alicia
12-31-2002, 02:52 PM
I don't think I would go with the dried flowers. If it is pot pourri they use highly scented oils to make it.

Why don't you just change the substrate and wash out the cage.
You can use a mild bleach solution to clean and deodorize. Rinse well:)

sphinx
12-31-2002, 03:14 PM
you dont mention what substrate you use,
with good husbandry and spot cleaning it should not smell!!

bmm
12-31-2002, 03:45 PM
Is right.

Snake cages do not need any smelling perfumes, or flowers. My cages do not stink at all. You have to clean your cage!

100% Remove substrate....throw it out. Replace with whatever you are using or paper towels.

Wash all cage furnishings with 10% bleach mix. Rinse WELL!

Wash entire tank out.

Your snake should no longer smell. You need to clean the cage FULLY once per month I'd say, maybe less. But spot cleaning must be done once or twice per week.

bmm

MentalMenace
01-01-2003, 01:42 PM
if there home dried and if they dont have any added smells than they should be good my room is realy full of animals so my room smells like animal its not a dirty smell i even like it but when i have friends round befor they come i burn some inscence in my room that getts rid from the smell and as far as i know insceance is not harmfull to animals . please tell me if it is.

Daan

MentalMenace
01-01-2003, 03:03 PM
i clean my snakes and other thing as soon as its dirty but they just have a scent esspecially the beardies.

MentalMenace
01-01-2003, 03:58 PM
i just use sand as beardie substerate. and i use lotus inscence. i dont even mind the smell i dont find it unplesant (exp the huge poos that come out of sutch a small animal how the hell can they push thet out)i even quite like the reptile smell. but never mind

thanks for the help

Daan

bmm
01-01-2003, 05:27 PM
Incense is VERY bad for animals!! Please don't use it near any pet!

It can *kill* a bird within moments and doesn't do well for other animals at all!

You *cannot* *cannot* use anything for deordorizing ANY animal but tried and tested animal sae products. I am trying to warn you so you won't harm your pets! :)

Try and get 3 boxes of baking soda....open two boxes and place on opposite sides of the room....open the third box, shake it all around your carpet, let it sit for a half hour and then vacuum.

This is safe and will help BIGTIME with the smell! Trust me, I have a reptile room which houses the following: 50-150 live mice at any given time, 1 Green Iguana, 1 red eared slider, 7 colubrid snakes, 1 whites tree frog, and 6 live gerbils! The smell of "animals" (not dirty cage, just their smell) can be overwhelming sometimes but the baking soda solution above works wonders. The open full boxes of baking soda soak up smell for months until you have to replace them.

bmm

MentalMenace
01-01-2003, 05:59 PM
ok thanks a LOT bmm at first i wanted to get one of those chemical smell things but i thought they would be bad for animals and i thought incence was natural but i was wrong i am realy happy you told me this and i know about the smell you are talking about in my room is everthing that isw by my signitcher plus around 30 mice thanks a lot for your help and advice.

Daan

Clutch Master
01-02-2003, 11:38 AM
just clean he cage! I'm sure your snake would like that much more than some strange flowery scence in his home!