PDA

View Full Version : STINKY! 2 new corns I bought HELP!

STINKY! 2 new corns I bought HELP!

Bekah Huggins
12-04-2006, 12:12 AM
I bought two new corn snakes got them home and realized that they have an odor. I washed them in warm water and the smell decreased but then when the emptied their contents the smell was back. My other snakes have o odor and I can't help but questioning this. What could be causing this?

Pruddock
12-04-2006, 01:27 AM
I bought two new corn snakes got them home and realized that they have an odor. I washed them in warm water and the smell decreased but then when the emptied their contents the smell was back. My other snakes have o odor and I can't help but questioning this. What could be causing this?

Most likely your new snakes have overproductive musk glands, or they're just scared. You just brought them home and they're in new environments with new smells and a large animal holding them so they're probably just musking you when you pick them up. I've had more experience with kings and milks doing this to me, but I've heard of some corns doing it too. I'm not exactly the most informed person on the forum, but those would be my first guesses as to why you're snakes are stinkin.

TWGarland
12-04-2006, 07:14 AM
So, your corns smelt when you first got them, then you washed them and they didnt smell, then they poo'd and the smell was back? Corn snake poo smells man! hehe although if its unbearable/v. stinky then maybe they are musking you, do they show any other nervous behaviours? ie. tail flicking, billowing of lungs, consrticting when held?

Bekah Huggins
12-04-2006, 11:39 AM
Yeah, they could be musking but I just wondered because none of my other corns (3) have ever had an odor. They don't exibit any other nervous behavior. Thanks

dwyn127
12-04-2006, 08:58 PM
I got one that came with a smell unlike any others. After a short time it went away. My guess would also be a stress/musk response, that or just nasty poop. I've had one of those before too.:grin01:

I wouldn't give him any more baths, especially in warm water. If it's warm to you, it's probably too hot. Just keep his viv extra clean.

Susan
12-04-2006, 09:38 PM
More than likely, they have been housed in a not-quite-perfectly clean environment and alot of the odor has become imbedded in their skin. If the odor hasn't gone away by then, their next shed should take care of it.

ramanth
12-05-2006, 11:56 AM
OT, but Susan, can you point me towards the large size version of your avatar? Reminds me of a Pern firelizard. I'm dying from the cute! :D
:grin01:

bitsy
12-05-2006, 12:03 PM
It's possible that they've been fed on something that has resulted in an extra or unusual smell. If you feed a chick to an adult Corn, you'll know EXACTLY when it's time to spot clean! :-puke01:

You never know, a regular diet of standard mice for a few weeks, might sort the problem out.