PDA

View Full Version : F/t Mice Question

F/t Mice Question

NewtoSnakes22
12-04-2006, 10:27 PM
Is there a length of time I can leave f/t mice in my freezer before it they go bad? I have a lot, and I'm not sure if they go bad at a certain point or if they stay okay as long as they're frozen. Don't want a snake to regurg.

NewtoSnakes22
12-04-2006, 11:20 PM
Also, I'm not sure if I should feed him another pinkie. I have attached 2 pictures right after eating, and it seems to me he could use another pinkie. What does everyone else think?

antsterr
12-05-2006, 01:23 AM
Pinkies go bad in the freezer sooner than larger mice. I've kept pinkies for 6 months with not problems, in six months your snake should be well beyond pinkies. I don't know if they go "bad" in that they are rotten and not good to eat. They do freezer burn or dry and a corn snake will stop eating food that's in bad condition like that. You could let your snake be the judge, they can smell if food is fresh or not. Freeze dried mice won't hurt a snake, but they probably don't have as good of nutrition and don't appeal to a discerning snake.

how long is you snake?
I a snake over 12-14 inches should be able to handle two pinkies no problem. How often you give two pinkies is more important. Offer it two, if it eats two then great, if not, it's not ready. At this point it's good to feed less frequently. Drop to a once every 5-7 feeding if you're feeding every 3-4 days on singles.

Plissken
12-05-2006, 02:10 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about mice going off in the freezer. I usually buy a 2-month supply at a time, so the mice stay in my freezer for at least two months. Never had a problem. :)

How quickly does your snake digest? If he only has a small lump after feeding, and digests very fast, he is probably ready to take more.

Flagg
12-05-2006, 09:58 AM
It seems to be the general consesus that frozen mice in airtight containers last up to 6 months or so in the freezer. Vacuum sealed frozen mice can last over 2 years.

NewtoSnakes22
12-05-2006, 06:54 PM
I'm pretty sure he is over 12 inches or pretty close to it. So you think it's okay to feed him 2. I fed one this week, but next week I'm thinking about trying 2.

RutherML
12-05-2006, 07:15 PM
I have read a couple of threads out there on this topic and found one stating that maybe you should try 1 f/t and a head of another. If that still seems not enough then go for the full 2 the next feeding date.

Flagg
12-05-2006, 10:27 PM
12 inches is still pretty small. But it doesn;t really depend on length, more important is the girth of the snake at it's widest point. What size pinks are these? If they are the smallest newborn pinks, you could probably feed 2, but if they are large pinks then I'd say no.