PDA

View Full Version : Freezer Burnt Mice?

Freezer Burnt Mice?

luvr
12-06-2006, 11:52 AM
I recently bought some pretty small pinkies from a pet store for my new baby corn. They looked a little darker/redder than what I've seen before. Could anyone please tell me what that might be? If it's freezer burn or not and if it is, is it dangerous to the snakie? Any pics of an freezer burnt mouse would help too if it's a problem and I need to recognize it.

Thanks,
Angela

pcar
12-06-2006, 11:57 AM
I prduce my own mice and freeze the pinks off for use with my hatchlings. some of them stay a bright pink and others turn a darker color almost purple. This is normal and the color change will depend on where the blood is in the mouse when it finally freezes. Freezer burn will show up as little white spots all accross the body of the mouse. Freezer burn is not harmful in any way to the snake (do you get sick from eating freezer burned steak?).

If you are worried about freezer burn, then I would suggest that you invest some money in a vaccuum sealer of some sort. Foodsavers, Black and decker makes some, and there are some others out there. They are well worth the money spent and will allow you to keep mice longer in the freezer. I have some adults that I sealed with my foodsaver that are going on 3 years old in the freezer, and they are still as nice colored as when I put them in there.

I will try and get some pictures of freezer burned mice, as I know I have a few, tonight and post them up for you to look at.

Flagg
12-06-2006, 12:24 PM
I got a "Foodsaver Mini" off Ebay for $15 shipped. Works great for mice and small rats. The bags are a bit expensive however. I found black and decker 8" rolls at WalMart for 1/2 the price of the Foodsaver brand, and they work just as well. The rolls are actually better for mice because you can make it a lot smaller than the pre cut bags.

Nanci
12-06-2006, 01:03 PM
That does it- I need a vacuum sealer. I only buy about ten pinks or fuzzies at a time, for four snakes, and I still get freezer burn. I know it isn't harmful, but they just look gross and I don't like to feed them.

I've been putting the paper bag they come in in a ziplock with the air forced out, and that seems to help a lot.

I have had those dark red/purple pinks more often than not- that's what color the ones I get usually are. I think they are frozen at the time of purchase- I mean, the shop freezes them right then.

Nanci

Flagg
12-06-2006, 01:33 PM
Before I had the vacuum sealer I would just keep them in a double ziplock with the air forced out , without a paper bag. The paper bag will retain air.

Huntahh
12-06-2006, 01:40 PM
Freezer burns appear as little white spots on the pinkies as previously mentioned, I haven't had any problems with snakes eating them. But I did not like the thought of feeding them to my snakes either, so I purchased a B&D Vacuum Pack Food Saver at Wally World (Wal-Mart). A vacuum pack/food saver is the way to go. Buy or produce any quantity then vacuum pack and seal. What will keep for a few months and get freezer burned in freezer bags will keep for a few years vacuumed packed (all air removed) and without freezer burn. Will save you money on your grocery bill too, as you can use it for alot of other foods you normally store in the pantry or cupboard. Ron

Nanci
12-06-2006, 01:58 PM
Flagg, thanks, my FoodSaver Mini is on the way, from eBay!

Nanci

luvr
12-06-2006, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the useful info. I'm thinkin the one I fed today was freezer burnt. I wasn't sure because I don't think I've ever eaten anything freezer burnt before. I'm not a steak eater or anything. Most I keep in the freezer is chicken and that doesn't last long. Yummi chicken. I only buy a couple pinkies at a time so I'll just try not to get the redder ones.

-Angela

Nanci
12-07-2006, 06:54 AM
Freezer burn looks like pale or white spots all over the mouse. Dark red or purple color isn't freezer burn. I have some at home- I'll take a picture for you.

Nanci

guguyni
12-07-2006, 09:15 AM
Someone mentioned that the Black and Decker bags are cheaper than the Food Saver bags. Any opinions about the actual vacuum sealers? Is one brand better/more durable/better built that the other?

Thanks!
Annie

Flagg
12-07-2006, 09:52 AM
I don't think the Black and Decker sealers are still made, at least they aren't sold at Walmart any more, or anywhere else I've seen. Rival Seal a Meal and Foodsaver are the better brands of sealer. There's a much cheaper brand, I think it's Deni, but I've heard the vacuum is very weak.

luvr
12-07-2006, 11:13 AM
I reason I said I think the ones I got were freezer burnt was because the one I fed yesterday had a couple little white hole type things on it (aside from being just red).

pcar
12-07-2006, 02:13 PM
I reason I said I think the ones I got were freezer burnt was because the one I fed yesterday had a couple little white hole type things on it (aside from being just red).

Yea, that sounds a little like freezer burn.

pcar
12-07-2006, 02:14 PM
I don't think the Black and Decker sealers are still made, at least they aren't sold at Walmart any more, or anywhere else I've seen. Rival Seal a Meal and Foodsaver are the better brands of sealer. There's a much cheaper brand, I think it's Deni, but I've heard the vacuum is very weak.

The foodsaver by far has the strongest vaccuum of any of the sealers I have used. Deni is total crap imho. I have only used the Rival Seal a Meal once or twice, but I still think the foodsaver is better. The FS bags are thicker and guaruntee the food willl last up to 3 years.