• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Once an non feeder always a non feeder???

When I first got her she was a non feeder, took me a couple months of patience and hard work to get her eatting.. She was eatting fine for 2 months and now she decieded not to eat... Its been almost 3 weeks already.. Whats going on? What should I do? Do I need to start all over again? Washed pinks and in paper bag was what got her to eat..

Keep trying! Drake is what I like to call a stuborn bastard but I haven't had to force feed (a prcess that I haven't used and there for am uncomfortable with) him yet. If worse comes to worse, than force feeding is will be needed...Not a prospect to look forward to, but always a last resort.

How long do you wait B4 you force feed? I really don't want to force feed... It ate by herself already!!! WHY?? :shrugs:

I can't give you a definate answer on that but I do know that corns can go a pretty long time w/o eating. Granted if she continues to not eat than she'll get skinny, but haveing a skinny snake on your hands is far better than haveing a dead one. You say it's been 3 week since she last ate? My current suggestion is to skip your next schedualed feeding, than contine on regularly. If she hits about 2 and a half months than I think that force feeding is something you really should start thinking about.

Shes only a hatchling and she is thin to begin with!! I feed my hatchlings every 4 days... The last time I tried was 2 days ago.. So ur saying I should try in 7 days? I was trying every 4 days for the past 3 weeks is that too often?

Yes that's too often. You should try feeding once a week if they don't eat, or they can be conditioned to refuse food. Which you don't want. but they can go for months without food, so don't give up hope.

Thanks! I never will give up hope untill it DIES.. From day one she was not eatting... I guess I got use to it.. its just a bit sad for me to see if finally eat and then not eat again... This is so sad....

Hey,

I know I'm new, but just to put it out there:

Have you checked your temps? All my research says that snakes will stop eating if the temp is dropping.

Good luck! I hope you get her to eat.

I normally feed hatchlings every 4-5 days as well, but if I have a difficult feeder I never try sooner than 5 days and often wait longer to let them get a little hungry. I've found that scenting with a lizard worked for 2 of the 3 that I had from this clutch. The last never ate anything on it's own and I was only able to forcefeed one mouse tail. I euthanized when it became too thin. I will not force feed any of the babies I hatch any longer as I feel that if they don't eat with normal things like scenting and such that they weren't meant to be. That said, Janine force fed her snow for months and now she eats like a champ. If you got this animal from someone and you want to keep working at it, go for it. Most likely if it ate once, it will eat again. Wait a bit for it to get real hungry and then try again. My Okeetees were picky eaters for a long while, sometimes going off food for 2-3 weeks before a shed and now they eat every time you offer with gusto. Hang in there and most likely it will start again. Is there any chance that it's getting near to shed? Both my difficult feeders refused food before shed and once they did, they ate again.

Stop losing hope! If you got her to eat once, she'll do it again!! Plenty of snakes are not eating right now because of the season- maybe it's only that!

Nanci

MegF. said:
I normally feed hatchlings every 4-5 days as well, but if I have a difficult feeder I never try sooner than 5 days and often wait longer to let them get a little hungry. I've found that scenting with a lizard worked for 2 of the 3 that I had from this clutch. The last never ate anything on it's own and I was only able to forcefeed one mouse tail. I euthanized when it became too thin. I will not force feed any of the babies I hatch any longer as I feel that if they don't eat with normal things like scenting and such that they weren't meant to be. That said, Janine force fed her snow for months and now she eats like a champ. If you got this animal from someone and you want to keep working at it, go for it. Most likely if it ate once, it will eat again. Wait a bit for it to get real hungry and then try again. My Okeetees were picky eaters for a long while, sometimes going off food for 2-3 weeks before a shed and now they eat every time you offer with gusto. Hang in there and most likely it will start again. Is there any chance that it's getting near to shed? Both my difficult feeders refused food before shed and once they did, they ate again.

Not only did she eat once.. she ate every 4 days for 2 months!! Then I saw her in blue so I did't feed her that week. After she shed she did't eat again... Its been 3 weeks now... Lets hope for the best...

Have you tried all the possible ways to entice her- braining, fresh killed, live, tuna scent, anole scent, chicken soup scent, leave in sock, leave in bag, tease with mouse, wash with ivory and blow dry, gecko scent, hamster scent, rat pink if she's big enough, take her out for exercise first to work up an appetite, mimi-brumation...

And if worst comes to worst- having to force feed isn't the end of the world.

Nanci

Oh, and making sure the prey temp is really, really warm- like I think Meg says 100F?

Nanci

Or is it Fenderplayer's Feeding Problem thread- hopefully he'll read this and find it for you...

Nanci

YES!!! I did try everything!! She was eating before lol... just stopped.. What got her eatting was ivory soap wash and in a paper bag... Im thinking do I need to wash and bring out the paper bags again...

Well... Another week went by... Just tried again last night, with no luck :shrugs: Put her and the pink in a paper bag and left it over night.. In the morning the pink was in the bag but the snake was MISSING!! That almost gave me a heart attack... Luckily she was back in her hide... This is not the first time she surprised me with her escapes... sometimes I really don't understand how she can get out... I lost her once and i don't want to lose her again.. anyways :-offtopic

Anyone with experience with snakes that have been eatting then stop? How long do they stop for? Its been over a month now... I know they can last longer but she is already very skinny to begin with... what should I do? Wait another week again?

I tried everything before when she was a non feeder... do you think its necessary for me to try everything again... she was eating fine a month ago...

Back