PDA

View Full Version : two new snakes

two new snakes

sneakysnake
12-17-2006, 10:33 PM
i am new at this snake thing i have two corn snakes one is a snow corn and other candy cane but when they eat they dont constrict them they just swollow them is that normal they are about a foot long dont know the age

DaemoNox
12-17-2006, 10:37 PM
Its normal; snakes prefer to save energy whenever the can, and they know pinks arnt going to run away or harm them so they dont need to constrict. Often with thawed food of any size they wont constrict, but once you start wiggling the mouse while the snake has it it will coil around it right away; constriction is a natural instinct.

BeckyG
12-18-2006, 05:18 PM
I agree. Only one of my corns will constrict at all, and he only does it when I wiggle the mouse.

Roy Munson
12-18-2006, 06:16 PM
Yeah, very few of mine constrict f/t regularly. But sometimes I'll feed a snake that rarely (or never) has constricted, and I'll bump the feeding tub by mistake after the snake's taken notice of the mouse, and they'll wrap it all up. I like it when that happens. Seems more natural than the lazy old nudge and swallow routine. :)

TheHated
12-18-2006, 06:58 PM
Strange.. Mine loves to constrict. But after the first mouse she eats like a pig :eek1:

MegF.
12-18-2006, 08:43 PM
I have a couple now who don't constrict. My one baby once he started really gets into it. He turns into a tiny ball wrapped around a fuzzy!

Lennycorn
12-18-2006, 09:00 PM
My butter doesn't constrict and all, not one bit.
But my amel...well that snake constrict the crap out of a f/t.
I think it has an attitude since it found out nobody likes amels anymore. :sidestep:

Roy Munson
12-18-2006, 09:24 PM
I think it has an attitude since it found out nobody likes amels anymore. :sidestep::roflmao: That's just not true, man. I like amels... charcoal amels, lavender amels, diffused amels, caramel amels... :grin01:

MegF.
12-18-2006, 09:33 PM
I like just plain old amels!! My first was an amel and I'm sure Jade will tell you that her class LOVES amels!

grdn1014
12-19-2006, 12:18 AM
before, my snakes did not constrict, but i purposely have them all constricting so they get a good work out :) i dont want a fat lazy animal lol

i just wiggle them around a bit and use the mouse to tap their mid-body and that usually sets them off. of course you cant be to mean about it, it could piss them off or just plain scare them. only one of mine gets afraid of f/t mice when i try to get her to constrict.

Bobo's Mama
12-19-2006, 12:32 AM
My snakes all seem to have a different style. My normal absolutely MURDERS the f/t rat or mouse. My amel is kind of lazy. He will constrict a little, but usually just eats it. My big guy, 650g Anery Lavender, he will only constrict it if its very life-like. If I thaw it out and dry it off and do a little dance, he will constrict it, otherwise he just lays on it! :rolleyes: My little opal girl didn't start constricting her mice until just recently. Its like all of a sudden something in her brain clicked on and she started constricting. Now she is the most vicious of them all, making the f/t bleed out its nose. Its funny because she used to be almost afraid of her food. I even had to hide her in a dark closet to get her to eat. Now I have to watch out or she'll try to eat me! My milksnake will only take the mouse if its right in front of her. I can't wave it around or she will get scared. She has to "find it" for herself. Then she just eats it. So they are all different, just like people.