PDA

View Full Version : Considering new hobby

Considering new hobby

kxv
04-23-2002, 11:32 PM
I'm considering purchasing and attempting to breed corns. I really like the snows, butters, and bloodreds.

I would like to minimize the cost of housing the little fellows, so I figured the plastic storage containers would be adequate. However, i'm not sure how to heat these or store them (what would keep them from prying out). Pics, suggestions, part numbers, dimensions, etc would be appreciated.

How often can corns breed? I have heard that it is possible to trick them into breeding but I'm not sure of the details. Seems like it had something to do with making them think they were hibernating by lower body temps and then raising the temp to bring them into breeding conditions. Seems like this would be a little rough on the snake.

Also, I have ordered "The Corn Snake Manual" but it has yet to arrive. Oh, the waiting...

jim
04-24-2002, 01:04 AM
the best site i've found for building rack caging for corns with plastic tubs is www.kingsnake.com/obsoleta click on the do-it-yourself projects page. lots of great info! youcan buy the plastic tubs at wal-mart for about 3-5 bucks apiece depending on size. good luck, jim

kxv
04-24-2002, 11:58 PM
Thanks for the info. I might try one of these racks. Is it safe to say that escape is a sure thing with only a lid that comes with the plastic tubs?

kxv

Warren
04-25-2002, 04:25 AM
You asked how many times can a Corn breed. Most experienced breeders I know say it is best for the female if you only breed for eggs once a year. This is because it does take a lot out of the female to produce eggs.
Now, most breeders will try to get three copulations between the pair for that first batch of eggs. Those first three copulations usually take place for about a two week period or so. (Give or take) The point is, just try for one batch of eggs a year. It is really best for the female.

wc

Jr Nimeskern
04-25-2002, 06:15 PM
Yes I have to agree...Ive just started making some of the Do it yourself projects that are at:

http://www.kingsnake.com/obsoleta/projects.htm

Ive just finished building the mouse racks for my mice... with the racks youll build for your corns you wont need lids! which is a good thing... the corns are really good at fitting in tight places... I wouldnt keep little corns in a sweater box because they most likely will escape through the loss fitting lid... but I would recommend especially if you are going to get a colony of corns to make your own racks for them... you heat them by using heat tape... Im not to sure on how that all works... because I havent build a snake rack yet:p
PS YOULL LOVE THE MANUEL I BRING IT WITH ME EVERYWHERE (sigh) I have no life...

kxv
04-25-2002, 09:33 PM
How many snakes constitute the building of a mouse rack? You must have several snakes.

I can't decide which flavor to purchase: snow, butter, or bloodred. I also like the candy canes quite a bit. What do you folks like out of my choices? I ask this since I've never seen any of them except in pictures.

What age should I look at purchasing (keeping in mind that I would like to breed them)?

Again, thanks for all the info. This forum stuff is really great!

jim
04-25-2002, 09:40 PM
i would suggest getting hatchlings. i wouldn't plan on having breeding adults until you have dealt with the issues of hatchlings. the care of an adult is surprisingly different than a youngster. just my opinion though... jim

Khaman
04-25-2002, 10:20 PM
Jim is right hatchings are best if you want to start breeding, The mouse rack is need only if you have a lot of snakes so that you can breed your own food, But if you are just getting started you would do better by ordering frozen rodents from some place like Rodentpro.com (my choice) or Cajun Mice.

As for the plastic shoeboxes if the lid is latched they cannot escape at least the 20 or so I have kept in them have not. Just make sure you put holes in the boxes for air. one of the best six dollars you will ever spend will be a soldering iron it is very handy for melding small holes in plastic.

I am located in Ky as well if need any help feel free to email.