PDA

View Full Version : Moving up to bigger food

Moving up to bigger food

edenlore
12-26-2006, 07:13 AM
After having it brought to my attention that my little six-month-old should have been eating something bigger than pinkies, I decided it was time to move her up. I did a couple of double pinkie feeds just to make sure she could digest big meals and those went without a glitch, so I decided to give her a fuzzie on xmas eve. Well, she did her usual "crazy-snake-really-hungry-slither-everywhere" thing, tongue flicking and circling the viv. But she didn't eat it. I tried wriggling it with a pair of tweezers, making a little cut in the back of it's head, left it in with her overnight. Every time I came back, she'd moved it to a different area of the viv, but not eaten. Any reason why she'd reject it, when she's normally a great feeder?

johnny
12-26-2006, 07:20 AM
mine same age as yours doesnt eat fuzzys yet

just keep given 2 or 3 pinkies has long as its still eating he or she be fine

that what i got told .

in time he or she will eat fuzzy

diamondlil
12-26-2006, 12:22 PM
just try again next feeding day, and space the feedings out to 6 days. The benefit of changing to a peach fuzzy instead of 2 pinks is a better nutritional profile, (there's a comparison table on rodentpro's site)

Jimmy Johnson
12-26-2006, 05:13 PM
I have had a few refuse fuzzies the first time.
I heard of a good way to get non feeders to eat so I tried it on a "fuzzie non-feeder".
After defrosting the fuzzie, wash it with dial or ivory soap and then rinse thoroughly. Place this and the snake in a deli dish and place it back in the viv.
Give it a couple of hours and then check on it.

bribrian
12-26-2006, 05:14 PM
As you've only just moved up to 2 pinkies i'd continue for a few more feeds with the double pinkies & then try again with the fuzzy, no need to rush it.... :)

Weebonilass
12-26-2006, 06:32 PM
As you've only just moved up to 2 pinkies i'd continue for a few more feeds with the double pinkies & then try again with the fuzzy, no need to rush it.... :)

So true, Bribrian. While fuzzies may be better for them, my guy ate 3 pinkies for quite awhile before moving up to fuzzies. At slightly over 4'5" and 660 grams, it certainly didn't hurt him :D

C0rn_Sn@ke
12-26-2006, 06:37 PM
I feed mine 2 pinkies and he eats them perfectly and pretty fast, im just worried if i try a fuzzie it will be to big and get stuck in its neck and choke.

Is there any signs you should know before trying fuzzies? Or is it a risk you have to take?

bribrian
12-26-2006, 06:46 PM
I feed mine 2 pinkies and he eats them perfectly and pretty fast, im just worried if i try a fuzzie it will be to big and get stuck in its neck and choke.

Is there any signs you should know before trying fuzzies? Or is it a risk you have to take?

If the lump in his belly isn't fairly noticeable when having fed 2 pinkies then it's time to move up to fuzzies....

Weebonilass
12-26-2006, 07:01 PM
If the lump in his belly isn't fairly noticeable when having fed 2 pinkies then it's time to move up to fuzzies....

When I first started, I was told three, which is why my guy was getting so many at one time. :)