PDA

View Full Version : need advice - unusual swelling

need advice - unusual swelling

Culebra
12-30-2006, 12:34 PM
Help! My 4-year-old female okeetee has developed a swelling from her ventral area forward about 2 inches. This has been for about a month, and she shows no signs of distress or pain from it. She is otherwise healthy and eating well.
It is possibly the result of internal damage from an incomplete shed at that time, which got bound-up around this area. I had to remove it (carefully!) with warm soaking and removal, after which she had a healthy 'download' (if you catch my drift). I do not believe she is gravid at this time, but won't rule that out either. The area is soft & spongy to the touch; no hard lumps or masses are felt.
We have very few herp vets in our area, so my options are limited.
She's a great snake, and I want to do all I can to help her.
Thanks for any input!
Culebra in Blue Ridge Mtns. Virginia

terry fielder
12-30-2006, 12:47 PM
im not sure has she been in contact with a male then she may be about to lay eggs
ut im a noob so i could be wrong

BeckyG
12-30-2006, 01:00 PM
Could it be fat? When a female snake gets overweight, that is the first place they develop fat deposits.

Culebra
12-30-2006, 01:40 PM
No, she has not been with any males.

I don't think it's fat, because it is concentrated in one area, and not all along her body.

Thanks.

Plissken
12-30-2006, 02:48 PM
Could it be some kind of tumour? Obvious as it sounds I really would try to get the snake to a vet. That swelling looks pretty bad from the picture.

Good luck to you and your snake! Keep us updated.

Jack B
12-30-2006, 02:52 PM
Perhaps she swallowed some substrate with one of her meals and got impacted?

You said the warm water caused a good download. Maybe try some more warm water and see if that might clear it out if it's impaction.

The bump looks pretty large in the picture. I'd be inclined to let the vet have a look if it doesn't clear out after a few warm baths.

cornspot
12-30-2006, 08:36 PM
Sounds like a fat deposit--any pics? (For me, the one you have posted is just a blank box with a small X in it) Is not uncommon in adult females.

Also, she would not have to have been with a male to produce eggs, but the swelling would involve more of her body & be fairly subtle. The fat deposits i am thinking of are sometimes called "hips".

xXMetalsAngelXx
12-30-2006, 10:00 PM
All I can say is ouch! if it is swelling that has to hurt. I understand there's not a lot of herp doctors, but for this to be going on for a month and not take her...too long of a wait. I'd take her in and see if they can do a needle asperate. Keep us updated. My thoughts are with her.

kapilmodi
12-31-2006, 10:25 AM
Hi, I dont want to alarm you, but my snake just suddenly died today and he had developed a swelling just like your corn. He had not eaten in a month, all his vitals were normal. There was no injury etc to his body and the temperatures in the viv etc were perfect too. I am really depressed and I did some research and found that few owners experienced similar deaths of their corns which started with a swelling. I would recommend you show it to the vet.

MegF.
12-31-2006, 12:28 PM
That swelling looks more to me like an abcess than fat pocket. I'd get it checked.

cornspot
12-31-2006, 07:27 PM
I still can't see the picture--Just a box that says "attached image". This has happened on other posts--is my computer missing something?

xXMetalsAngelXx
12-31-2006, 08:31 PM
Hopefully you took her to a vet by now, what also is a possibility is "swelling" in that area can be a sign of crypto. You said she's been eating though right?

Brizzle
12-31-2006, 08:34 PM
Don't worry about the pic..worry about taking your snake to the vet asap..

SnakeAround
12-31-2006, 08:44 PM
Crypto swelling is in the stomach area... I wonder if she defecates? If she does eat but something is stuck there, it would sweel form all the poo being stuck there. I cannot imgaine she can poo anyway, should it be an abcess or tumor. Get her to a vet I'd say!

MegF.
12-31-2006, 09:18 PM
I'm assuming when she said that after she helped off the shed, she had a healthy "download" meaning she went to the bathroom. That would indicate that there was not impaction. I still say abcess or something like that.

SnakeAround
12-31-2006, 09:28 PM
I'm assuming when she said that after she helped off the shed, she had a healthy "download" meaning she went to the bathroom. That would indicate that there was not impaction. I still say abcess or something like that.

Maybe not yet back then....

Culebra
01-02-2007, 11:22 AM
Thanks for all your opines. To restate:
1) She's eating fine.
2) She's defecating fine (no blood either in her stool).
3) Her behavior is normal,and so is her activity, color, eyes, etc.
4) I've talked to me regular vet who is not herp-specialized, and I am trying to locate a herp vet in the area (I live in a semi-rural area of west-central VA), but have not yet found one within reasonable distance.
5) She is caged alone, so it's not an injury from another snake. There are no breaks/wounds on the skin. She's also fed pre-killed mice, so that is not a cause of injury.
6) Her substrate is ReptiBark, and while it's possible that she might have ingested a piece, it's not likely, see #2 above.

I'll check into crypto or abcess.
In the meantime, I'll be trying to locate a vet a.s.a.p.
Thanks - Culebra

xXMetalsAngelXx
01-02-2007, 08:07 PM
www.arav.org

check that site they have a list of vets. keep us updated

xXMetalsAngelXx
01-02-2007, 08:08 PM
http://www.arav.org/Members/VA.htm

here's registered vets in VA

Culebra
01-05-2007, 06:12 PM
Thanks, everybody!
I took her to a vet this morning. The good news is: other than the swelling, she's in excellent health. He did a needle aspiration of the mass and concluded that there is: 1) no blood, 2) no fluid, 3) no solid mass (as in cancerous tumor), 4) her intestinal/cloacal area is obstruction-free.
As she is eating/drinking/defecating/shedding/moving fine, and her disposition is relaxed and apparently pain-free, he feels that this mass is either a fatty deposit or a "lipoma/xanthoma" non-cancerous tumor. We will be watching her closely to see if there are changes to the area, and then decide down the road if surgery or further diagnostics are necessary.

She behaved extraordinarily well at the vet's; she was calm & didn't thrash around at all- even when he had to look in her mouth. When we got home, she took a LONG drink of fresh water, and curled up in her warm hide.
At 4 years old, she's about 52 inches long. Everyone at the vet's office remarked on her beauty and gentle disposition. Love those corn snakes! Our Ball Python is a gem too, but I have a special heart for this okeetee corn.

I appreciate everyone's concerns & comments. If anyone's had the same condition with their corns, please let me know and continue this thread.

SnakeAround
01-05-2007, 06:51 PM
I'm happy that this gorgeous girl seems to have nothing more then a acceptabel flaw in beauty atm!

bill38112
01-05-2007, 06:57 PM
Glad to hear the positive report. Hope you have her for many years.

MegF.
01-05-2007, 08:05 PM
Wonderful news! Glad to hear she's perfectly normal and that she's of course....perfectly well-behaved!

PSYCOSNAKEMOM
07-11-2007, 11:56 PM
I read that one died, how about any of you others did it clear up? Is it just fatty tissue from not doing enough on the tread mill? My friend doesn't want to take to the vet because he says it's been this way for months. I am concerned especially she hasn't eaten two meals and thats not like her. She is four. any input is appreciated, thanks sam

[Bad.Luck.Bear]
07-12-2007, 05:50 AM
I read that one died, how about any of you others did it clear up? Is it just fatty tissue from not doing enough on the tread mill? My friend doesn't want to take to the vet because he says it's been this way for months. I am concerned especially she hasn't eaten two meals and thats not like her. She is four. any input is appreciated, thanks sam
Well from what it sounds like you might just want to push the ball on getting that snake to the vet. One person said theirs died and I believe your the only other one that has posted about this problem also. if she/he isn't acting normal do what the smart people tell you and get it some help!