PDA

View Full Version : Problem with rubbermaiding them?

Problem with rubbermaiding them?

dusterdust
12-30-2006, 03:20 PM
A know someone who is selling a corn. He is 3 years old about 4 feet... The corn, to my understanding, has been in one of those rubbermaid containers his whole life...I'm not sure exactly what's involved with that, I guess it's common practice...
My question is, will this corn behave the same as a corn who was raised in a terrarium? Or will he exhibit some sort of underdeveloped/understimulated behaviour...I'm putting him in a glass terrarium...Will he be permanently more shy than, say, a hatchling who "grew up" in a terrarium and whatnot?
I'm sure some of the experts out there can comment on this... Or draw presumptions and conclusions...
Dustin

Drucifer
12-30-2006, 03:32 PM
A know someone who is selling a corn. He is 3 years old about 4 feet... The corn, to my understanding, has been in one of those rubbermaid containers his whole life...I'm not sure exactly what's involved with that, I guess it's common practice...
My question is, will this corn behave the same as a corn who was raised in a terrarium? Or will he exhibit some sort of underdeveloped/understimulated behaviour...I'm putting him in a glass terrarium...Will he be permanently more shy than, say, a hatchling who "grew up" in a terrarium and whatnot?
I'm sure some of the experts out there can comment on this... Or draw presumptions and conclusions...
Dustin
I'm no expert, but I hope you will read my opinion.

He most probably will be shy, because it's a completely new place for them to be, also, I think that he will be more shy, and show different behaviour to a corn that is, as you said, raised in a Terrarium/Viv. Although, He might settle down after a few days and become more active and show the same behaviour as a corn that was raised in a Viv.
I honestly am no expert, but it's just common sense really. I think. ;)

BeckyG
12-30-2006, 05:52 PM
Remember, these are snakes, and don't have the complex emotional issues that would plague...say, a child raised in a closet, for example.

My guess is that he'll be fine.

Lore
12-30-2006, 06:22 PM
In my experience I have observed that my snakes that are in a rack system are more active and more regularly seen out "exploring" their enclosure more often than those in a wide open glass "tank" type terrarium. :shrugs:

Plissken
01-01-2007, 07:14 AM
Dustin

I'm not an expert, but I don't believe you'll have any problems. My corn Connor was kept in a tub before I got him, with me he lives in a glass-fronted vivarium. I've not noticed any signs of stress - he has NEVER refused a meal, not even the very first after his switch from tub to tank. He is a shy snake, but he was mistreated so I don't think his enclosure is the cause of that.