PDA

View Full Version : need some advice. injured snake!

need some advice. injured snake!

johnwohl
01-01-2007, 09:14 PM
Hi, this is my first post, I figured a place called cornsnakes.com HAD to be a good place for advice on corn snakes! Anyhow, earlier today I found that my beautiful boy had lifted scales and a but of scabbing on his back so I was like what in the heck. My roommate admitted that against the rules, he allowed one of his friends to take the snake out (I am the only one allowed to remove the snake from his environment). Apparently the person removed the snake by the tail and scraped his back on the top of his log (gah!). I gave him a bath and smoothed out his scales but he's still looking pretty raw. What else should I do to help him heal?

Lennycorn
01-01-2007, 09:23 PM
Hi, this is my first post, I figured a place called cornsnakes.com HAD to be a good place for advice on corn snakes! Anyhow, earlier today I found that my beautiful boy had lifted scales and a but of scabbing on his back so I was like what in the heck. My roommate admitted that against the rules, he allowed one of his friends to take the snake out (I am the only one allowed to remove the snake from his environment). Apparently the person removed the snake by the tail and scraped his back on the top of his log (gah!). I gave him a bath and smoothed out his scales but he's still looking pretty raw. What else should I do to help him heal?

A little neosporin if it a scrape but not for deep wounds. What type of bedding are you using. You might have to change to paper towels until it heal over.

gwb8568
01-01-2007, 09:31 PM
first off........welcome to the site. i would have to agree with lenny about the neosporin for small cuts and abrasions. if it is worse than that you might need to lean towards a visit to the vet. you also might try and post a picture of the wound so some of the more knowledgeable members can give their opinions. good luck.

Lennycorn
01-01-2007, 09:35 PM
Thyis is where you reply John. :grin01:

BeckyG
01-01-2007, 09:44 PM
I agree, either neosporin or diluted betadyne. And I also recommend switching him to paper towels for substrate until he has healed. This will keep the wound a lot cleaner.

One more thing, expect him to shed sooner than normal, since that is one way they deal with wounds.

Lennycorn
01-01-2007, 09:55 PM
I agree, either neosporin or diluted betadyne. And I also recommend switching him to paper towels for substrate until he has healed. This will keep the wound a lot cleaner.

One more thing, expect him to shed sooner than normal, since that is one way they deal with wounds.

That's it!!!
Your a good girl Becky Brown. :sidestep:

johnwohl
01-01-2007, 10:02 PM
Thyis is where you reply John. :grin01:

Heh sorry, I was busy implementing some suggestions. I have switched him over to non printed paper towel substrate, given him another bath, and put a bit of neosporin on his back over the sore spots. He doesn't seem like he's in ill spirits or anything, he's plenty active. I'll try and get some pictures up tomorrow when my g/f gives my digicam back :)

Lennycorn
01-01-2007, 10:15 PM
Heh sorry, I was busy implementing some suggestions. I have switched him over to non printed paper towel substrate, given him another bath, and put a bit of neosporin on his back over the sore spots. He doesn't seem like he's in ill spirits or anything, he's plenty active. I'll try and get some pictures up tomorrow when my g/f gives my digicam back :)

Hey I'm just bustin' chop here, Anyway like Becky said this might promote a shed ...sooner than scheduled. But you done all you can for now. Just apply more neosporin when needed.
Good Luck :cheers:
:-offtopic And what's up the chicks always having the digcam anyway?? :grin01:

cornspot
01-01-2007, 10:48 PM
He should be OK. Mine survived a trip through the washing machine; pretty sure a few little scrapes won't do him in :)

Like the others have said--keep the wounds clean and neopsporin, silvidene, dilute betadine (the color of weak tea) or diluted Nolvasan would all be appropriate if it's more than superficial.

Then maybe get a viv with a padlock :)

tyflier
01-01-2007, 11:00 PM
I would recommend betadine solution over neosporin or bacitracin or any other triple-antibiotic ointment. The "creamy" nature of those ointments will allow debris and dust particulate to stick to the wound preventing proper healing and possibly inducing infection. A liquid solvent, such as diluted betadine or bactine solution will dry up and prevent this from happening.

however, I would strongly recommend AGAINST an alcohol or hydorgen peroxide cleanser as they tend to dry out wounds and wounds need moisture to heal.

danvega
01-01-2007, 11:14 PM
I would advise against using neosporin, but rather using polysporin. One of the antibiotics in neosporin is neomycin, which can be toxic. Polysporin does not contain neomycin is just as affective for healing.

Infinite
01-01-2007, 11:22 PM
He should be OK. Mine survived a trip through the washing machine

WTF, seriously?!?!?

gwb8568
01-02-2007, 12:01 AM
WTF, seriously?!?!?

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41552

Infinite
01-02-2007, 04:34 AM
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41552

Wow, that's just insane :bang:

Nanci
01-02-2007, 07:26 AM
Maybe you should buy a lock for your snake's viv. I seriously hate it when people injure animals through ignorance.

Nanci