PDA

View Full Version : Increasing temps to prevent RI?

Increasing temps to prevent RI?

dusterdust
01-03-2007, 01:20 AM
I've been reading through threads about wheezing, sneezing and RI because Floyd has been doing said things. I came across something that said to turn up the heat on the warm side...How can this be done without burning him, or I guess, heating the glass up...As well, I always assume that the 85-90 warm side refers to the glass temp...Am I right?

He keeps making squeeking noises, when I held him I could hear it from him when his head was by my ear...Also every hour or so I hear what sound like someone spraying a spray bottle...He keeps dunking his head in the water and rubbing it against the glass...
Dustin

dusterdust
01-03-2007, 01:22 AM
I can see something pulsating from underneath as well, heart?

aameenah
01-03-2007, 02:18 AM
So your snakes squeak and fart? Dang...:P

Anyhoo, my juvenile came with the sniffles, and I increased the ambient temperature by 3-5 degrees. I didn't turn up the UTH, I got a heat lamp on a timer so I didn't have to worry about the glass. Not sure if this is standard procedure per se, but it was effective for a mild RI.

aameenah
01-03-2007, 02:20 AM
Also wanted to say, rubbing his nose on the glass might indicate wanting to shed...check you humidity too.

I'd hate to think he'd be too dry as well as having an RI poor thing!

dusterdust
01-03-2007, 02:21 AM
He just shed a few hours ago...

aameenah
01-03-2007, 02:26 AM
How'd that go?

dusterdust
01-03-2007, 02:26 AM
Not horrible, 3 pieces...

Huntahh
01-03-2007, 04:24 AM
It's best if you describe as many facts, as much information as possible so that one can form a more complete opinion of the situation at hand. I read your other post and declined to reply, as I did notice you were/are in Canada and it IS rather cold there this time of year and was sure it was not a fart(s) you were hearing at such regular intervals. Without being there we here at this forum will have to rely on what you tell us to give you any usable advice in order to help you with your problem. That said, here are some things to consider not knowing that whole situation your pet snake is or may be in...? Early respiratory signs such as sneezing or a mild hissing noise, may signify a respiratory infection, although this is not always the case. A chemical irritant such as that found in cedar shavings and cigarette smoke, high ammonia levels in dirty cages, or an allergen such as dust on corncob litter may produce mild sinusitis, with consequent respiratory signs. In other words, there may be no infection to treat, only an enviroment to correct. Swelling of the head region and skin around the nares just prior to shedding may be accompanied by wheezing, and an agitated snake may produce sharp, hissing noises. You should observe your snake carefully after a shed, while it is at rest. Keeping the temperature up with a young snake is extremely important for digestion, and keeping it's immune system in check to fight off any infection naturally. If you provide a warm end and a cool end WITH a hide box at each end, so it doesn't have to choose between feeling secure or being comfortable the snake will (thermalregulate) move about the enclosure to suit his/her comfort level. Hope this helps, Ron

dusterdust
01-03-2007, 10:38 AM
Alright, he is over 3 years old...Woke up this morning to him being active...I've never seen such an active snake...Which could be good or bad...

I'm including a few pics (best I could do) of his nose, I don't know if it's supposed to look all red like that...

MegF.
01-03-2007, 07:04 PM
I've had many make squeeking, clicking and rasping noises before shed, and if it's a bad shed, sometime after. Usually after the shed, the sounds go away. If the shed was in three pieces, it's possible some of it is still left on the nostril area and it will still make a noise. I had a green tree python do that. I upped the humidity a bit and it went away...presumable he rubbed the rest off his nose at some point. Dunking and nose rubbing indicates shed to me and not an RI. Usually sitting with the nose pointed upward, or open mouth breathing is a strong indicator.