PDA

View Full Version : still wont eat!

still wont eat!

squeebo
01-04-2007, 04:19 AM
hi there everyone.
I'm having a little trouble with new buddy, i had him on the 29 DEC and fed him a f/t pinky witch he chomped down no problems and i fed him in the little container he came in but now iv tried feeding him again he just doesn't seem to want to know Ive tried twice so I'm gunna leave him for a while now but is it worth me putting him back in his little container just to feed?
any advice would be gratefull, cheers all
squeebo.

Fenderplayer108
01-04-2007, 07:26 AM
Is it possible he is going into blue (shed) ?

Ryan McCullough

THEPETER
01-04-2007, 08:41 AM
If he is in "blue" about ready to shed wait tell after the shed to try again. If not I would wait 5 days and try it again. A new snake normally is stressed out with the move and the new home so there eating habits can get out of whack! Keep us updated on how he is doing! :)

Nanci
01-04-2007, 09:24 AM
Also, sometimes they won't eat immediately. It can take an hour or two, or even overnight.

Is the pinky nice and warm? Slitting the pinky's back (not a live pink!) can help excite the snake to eat.

Don't keep trying and trying- if he refuses, wait five days before trying again.

Nanci

squeebo
01-04-2007, 09:43 AM
cheers all, i don't think hes going into"blue" Ive read that there eyes tend to cloud over or they go bluey grey colour but i am new at all this so ill leave it for 5 days as you guys recommend and then try again with the slitting thing.
I'm guessing just a small little cut to the pinky will do as far as slitting goes.
thanks again all and ill let you know how i get on.
squeebo

Nanci
01-04-2007, 09:58 AM
Choco won't eat when he's going blue- but how things usually work is he refuses a meal for no apparent reason, then a day or so later is holed up, in blue. When he refuses, I can't tell he's blue yet.

Nanci

squeebo
01-04-2007, 10:03 AM
im hopeing thats whats going on. i think im just a bit paranoid and im sure kellog will eat when he wants to.
cheers again.

snakemom1961
01-04-2007, 01:06 PM
If he's not in blue, and he ate the first time from the cup you got him from, I see no harm in trying to feed him on his regular feeding day from the cup again to see what happens. I've been lucky in that neither of my guys are picky eaters, they could care less where they are fed SO LONG AS THEY ARE FED!..LOL....Just try feeding on the next regularly schedualed day in the cup again and see what happens......GOOD LUCK!

BeckyG
01-04-2007, 06:30 PM
I'd also suggest that you continue to offer on his regularly scheduled feeding day. That's what I do with mine. If they don't eat, they have to wait until the next feeding day, whether it is 6 days (for the smallest) or 14 days (for the fattest).

It could be stress from the move, it could be shed, it could just be contrariness. Most all snakes refuse a meal now and again. Unless he starts losing a lot of weight, I wouldn't worry just yet.

Ryan Harvey
01-04-2007, 08:23 PM
Hey there,
If he is not shedding and not stressed I would try a different food other then mice... I have a young male ghost that the breeder said was a very picky eatter and hadn't grown much because of it. When I got him I tried him on rat pups and and he hasn't missed a meal since and is growing like a weed! He loves them! He will eat as many as I put in front of him!
Just a thought!
Ryan
~Valley Pets~

squeebo
01-20-2007, 05:37 AM
cheers all he was going into blue and he shed the next day the full skin came off in one and he ate his pinky with no trouble at all