PDA

View Full Version : Fuzzies still a problem

Fuzzies still a problem

edenlore
01-07-2007, 09:18 AM
I started on double pinkie feeds well over a month ago and tried again today to get my seven-month-old corn to take a fuzzie. She just doesn't seem to be buying it-- even though she was a great feeder on pinks (never refused, according to my own records and the records I got from the reptile store). Why on earth doesn't she like fuzzies?

Jrgh17
01-07-2007, 10:23 AM
I just switched to fuzzies last feeding, and made the mistake of not thawing the thing fully the first time. Also, what about washing the mouse with dial, slitting, braining, etc?

Weebonilass
01-07-2007, 11:44 AM
If I remember right, there was someone on the list that had one that didn't like fur.... I would continue with the pinkies if she continues to refuse the fuzzies.

Mangrove
01-07-2007, 12:33 PM
its could be because of the smell, you can go to petco, and ask for some of the bedding out of the mouse tank, if you roll it around in there, it will make it smell more, and the snake will probly take it. :flames:

edenlore
01-07-2007, 01:28 PM
I've tried slitting. It made the snake go crazy, but she didn't eat, just smelled and then curled up on the opposite side of the tank.

I am sticking with pinkies in the mean time, but I'd really like to have her on bigger food because she's definitely the right size/age to be taking fuzzies.

And er... I don't think they have petco where I'm from. >_<

Roy Munson
01-07-2007, 01:39 PM
I have an '05 Miami that hated fuzzies. What really sucked was that she was also no fan of multiple prey items either. I had to select the largest pinks I could just to maintain slow growth with her. She ate a few fuzzies here and there, but usually refused them. When she FINALLY was large enough for hoppers, she took them without a problem every time (she's chowing weaneds now w/o hesitation). I've had others who didn't want fuzzies until they were way past the size when they could have switched to them. :shrugs: As I recall, you said you weren't breeding your corn. If that's the case, there should be no rush in growing her up. Give her double-pinks, as big as you can find, until she takes fuzzies. :)

BeckyG
01-07-2007, 01:44 PM
You could also try skipping a feeding. Let her get good and hungry, then she may take the fuzzy.

tricksterpup
01-07-2007, 02:21 PM
Also try putting her in a dark container that may set off her feeding response. You know how some girls can be, they dont like to be seen eating big meals in public. :sidestep:

edenlore
01-07-2007, 03:05 PM
Roy-- I've actually decided that I am going to breed her, but I'm not in any hurry to it at the moment and I'm happy enough to wait several years; as long as her growth is normal I'm not worried about it. Thankfully this girl takes two pinks with no difficulty, so I'll carry on doing that, but I wish I could get her onto the more nutritionally valuable food items.

Becky-- I'd let her go a week since the double pink feed before I tried the fuzzie. What length of time would you suggest letting her go hungry so that she wants to eat but it doesn't have her singing Band Aid's "Feed the World"? :D

Tricksterpup-- Tried it. :-/ She went to sleep.

Thanks for all the helpful advice.

Weebonilass
01-07-2007, 03:37 PM
I have an '05 Miami that hated fuzzies. What really sucked was that she was also no fan of multiple prey items either. I had to select the largest pinks I could just to maintain slow growth with her. She ate a few fuzzies here and there, but usually refused them. When she FINALLY was large enough for hoppers, she took them without a problem every time (she's chowing weaneds now w/o hesitation). I've had others who didn't want fuzzies until they were way past the size when they could have switched to them. :shrugs: As I recall, you said you weren't breeding your corn. If that's the case, there should be no rush in growing her up. Give her double-pinks, as big as you can find, until she takes fuzzies. :)

Or until she's big enough to take a rat pinkie.... if it's the hair she has a problem with.

BeckyG
01-07-2007, 08:08 PM
Becky-- I'd let her go a week since the double pink feed before I tried the fuzzie. What length of time would you suggest letting her go hungry so that she wants to eat but it doesn't have her singing Band Aid's "Feed the World"? :D

Thanks for all the helpful advice.

I'd let her go about two weeks. Snakes can go a surprisingly long time without food, even hatchlings. When my Scarlett was having issues, she effectively went about 4 months without food and ended up fine--a little smaller than normal, but fine now and starting to catch up.

edenlore
01-12-2007, 05:34 PM
Slit the darn thing good and deep (didn't mean to go quite so far in-- there were organs!) and after a bit of hesitant sniffing she latched right on. Probably helped that she hadn't eaten in eleven days. ;)

*sniff*

I'm so proud. Thanks everyone.

Jrgh17
01-12-2007, 06:03 PM
Yay!! :dancer: :dancer: :dancer:

:cheers:

Nanci
01-12-2007, 06:19 PM
You should see the last batch of fuzzies I got- they are like pinks with white fur. Not nice plump peach fuzzies, which are like gigantic pinks- but tiny white-furred mice- the size of pinks. The guy at the snake shop is not happy...(But I can work with any size, within a range- I just double up if small, or feed single if huge.)

Nanci