PDA

View Full Version : Snake/Prey Size Photos

Snake/Prey Size Photos

Susan
01-08-2007, 02:30 PM
Since this has been coming up a bit lately, I took a few photos showing the size prey to snake size, and good belly bulge photos. I used to feed smaller prey items but didn't get the growth rates many other breeders did. Now that I feed larger items, with no problems, my snakes are growing much better now. It used to take 4 years for a female to barely reach breeding size. Now it should take the more typical 3 years and they'll be a good size. I feed once a week mostly, but occasionally (especially for older snakes/snakes over 200 gms) they will go up to 10 days between feedings.

diamondlil
01-08-2007, 02:39 PM
I know this might sound odd, Susan, but a couple of times I've had adult mice that are the perfect size apart from having huge great thighs! For my granite I've had to cut the back legs off twice last month

Susan
01-08-2007, 02:53 PM
I know this might sound odd, Susan, but a couple of times I've had adult mice that are the perfect size apart from having huge great thighs! For my granite I've had to cut the back legs off twice last month
Strange! You must be getting some mutant mice as I've never seen one that had thighs so large they had to be cut off for the snake to swallow the mouse. Most of the time, it's the mouse's belly that is the widest part. Also, since most of the prey I feed have been thawed in water, they are wet and their actual thickness can be determined easier than when they are dry. Sometimes the fur can be deceiving.

diamondlil
01-08-2007, 02:57 PM
:shrugs: I thought it was odd, I got a batch of 20 adults for the freezer, I've not seen it before, and that's why I asked you!

Weebonilass
01-08-2007, 04:13 PM
How old are those youngsters, Susan?

It takes little Tessa less than five minutes to down a pinkie and crusing her critter keeper. Her lump is fairly good size, but I'm thinking that maybe I'll try alittle bigger pinkie, because they don't look that big going down :)

Jrgh17
01-08-2007, 04:14 PM
Thanks for that Susan. It helps! :wavey:

Susan
01-08-2007, 04:38 PM
How old are those youngsters, Susan?

It takes little Tessa less than five minutes to down a pinkie and crusing her critter keeper. Her lump is fairly good size, but I'm thinking that maybe I'll try alittle bigger pinkie, because they don't look that big going down :)
These are all '06 hatchlings. They range in weights from around 30 grams (ghost and snow) to around 50 grams (normals).

cornsnakekid92
01-08-2007, 04:48 PM
isent that kinda small for 16 month old hatchlings?

Weebonilass
01-08-2007, 05:18 PM

I'm curious how you put their ages at 16 months? Or did I miss something. My kids are from July, Sept, Oct and Nov. If hers are the same range, they would barely be 12, not 16.

dionythicus
01-08-2007, 05:34 PM
Anything from July or older would be at least 16 mos.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feeds/fed smaller prey and has adults on a 7-10 day feeding schedule. I'm finally getting the last of my '04's onto adult mice and was deathly afraid that it was too much. Not to worry, snake bulge is just what it should be.

Great pics, thanks!

Weebonilass
01-08-2007, 05:39 PM
Anything from July or older would be at least 16 mos.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feeds/fed smaller prey and has adults on a 7-10 day feeding schedule. I'm finally getting the last of my '04's onto adult mice and was deathly afraid that it was too much. Not to worry, snake bulge is just what it should be.

Great pics, thanks!

I do realize a July baby would be at the 16 month mark... but the others would not. My July baby is only 16 grams, so I think 30 grams sound pretty good, but maybe not. I never kept track of Lady G or Kieran's weights when they were growing up.

dionythicus
01-08-2007, 06:00 PM
I've got May 05's that are in the 30-50 gram mark, so it sounds like yours are doing just fine.

Susan
01-08-2007, 06:06 PM
Oh man! I had a major "OOPS"! These are '06 hatchlings! I didn't hatch any of these out so got slightly confused. The ghost and coral snow were hatched June 1st, and the normals were hatched probably early 2006 (their exact hatch dates are someplace...just not readily available). I do have some '05s that are of equal size, but they were started on my old sizing. That's one of the reasons I increased...when I got '06s bigger than some of my '05s!

cornsnakekid92
01-08-2007, 06:31 PM
ok i was just checking in i mena i never powerfeed my snakes but my only 05 corn is at about 250 grams

Gary2sons
01-08-2007, 07:00 PM
Since this has been coming up a bit lately, I took a few photos showing the size prey to snake size, and good belly bulge photos. I used to feed smaller prey items but didn't get the growth rates many other breeders did. Now that I feed larger items, with no problems, my snakes are growing much better now. It used to take 4 years for a female to barely reach breeding size. Now it should take the more typical 3 years and they'll be a good size. I feed once a week mostly, but occasionally (especially for older snakes/snakes over 200 gms) they will go up to 10 days between feedings.

Thanks so much for the pics! They look a lot like ours after we feed. You probably saw our post on feeding a very large adult mouse to our corn. I have decided it is better to go by weight rather than what a feeder is called as to size. That way we can occasionally push the limit without feeding too large a mouse and having problems.