PDA

View Full Version : water dish.

water dish.

ButtersCorns4life
01-08-2007, 06:03 PM
I have a 6 month old baby common corn snake, and I have never seen him drink from the water dish. I've had him for about 2 months so he is obviously drinking, do you know when he might be drinking so I could make sure and keep him from getting dehydrated.

I have also noticed that the water is cold... I put it in from a bottle at room temp, but like an hour later its colder. Dose anyone know if this will affect him? And if it dose, please tell me how I can fix it. Thank you

DaemoNox
01-08-2007, 06:08 PM
As long as there's water in there he's fine. Most drink at night, and when they know no one is around. I've never noticed a problem with the water temp, its still at room temp when you put it with him, unless you actually have a thermometer to read its temp its hard to accurately judge with your sense of touch. Unless its hot or freezing its fine.

Lennycorn
01-08-2007, 06:11 PM
Don't fret.. You snake is drinking, it just not a commom thing to see tho.
I can't see how water would get colder unless the viv is colder than room temp??? I wouldn't worry about it. .

tyflier
01-08-2007, 06:16 PM
I have actually had the pleasure of watching my snake drink from it's water dish one time. It's really quite cute to see. They put their "lips" to the surface and drink, just like you would if you had a bowl of water and no hands. Quite cute to watch.

I have only seen it once, though.

It is my understanding that reptiles also take in a good amount of moisture through both their skin and they prey they eat. Apparrently they are able to digest and hydrate from the water content in the mice we feed them, and they can absorb moisture through their skin via the humidity in the vivarium.

The water from the prey I read in a corn snake specific handbook about the various color morphs. The absorption through the skin is something I learned when I kept an iguana, though for an as-of-yet unknown reason the iquana eventually died...(this was many, many years ago)

Nanci
01-08-2007, 06:20 PM
I am in the habit, after reading about it here, of putting my snakes back right at their water dish after I handle them. A lot of the time, they drink. Zee will even go under water, upside down, and drink.

Nanci

stragen
01-08-2007, 06:45 PM
I agree with what everyone else has said on here - corn snakes drink a lot but they tend to do it in secret when you're not looking - as long as there is a water bowl in there he will be fine ;)

I too have had the pleasure of seeing my corn snake drink from his waterbowl, and as tyflier said, its really cute!

Also, when i was round a friends house, she had her snake(royal python) round her neck, and she was holding a cup of water... when as i was talking to her the snake slid down her arm, stuck his head right under water and started blowing bubbles! Was so funny :)

:laugh:

DaemoNox
01-08-2007, 07:09 PM
If you want to try to catch them drinking watch them for awhile after they eat, I've seen many of mine take a drink after a nice meal.

dwyn127
01-08-2007, 07:55 PM
If you want to try to catch them drinking watch them for awhile after they eat, I've seen many of mine take a drink after a nice meal.
Same here. That, and right after a bumpy FedEx ride!

As for the water temperature, I've filled a bowl right from the water cooler, placed it in the viv and seen one of mine take a gooooood looooooong drink of 45 degree water without any problem......in fact, I think I heard him go, Ahhhhh!!!! :grin01:

ButtersCorns4life
01-08-2007, 08:05 PM
OK so I don't have to worry. :blowup: I thought he might be in trouble.

Keith has two lavender corn snakes, and each time they eat they ALWAYS get a long drink. But neither of mine do. So thats why I was worried. :grabbit: But no need now! :rolleyes:

ButtersCorns4life
01-08-2007, 08:06 PM
(I like smilies) He he.

Joolz68
01-08-2007, 11:38 PM
Trust me, if the snake is thirsty, it will drink! :licklips:

And putting the snake back near the water is a good idea (especially if you change your decorations), so the snake will always know where to find it. :sidestep:

As far as the water being cold: no one likes hot water anyway. :realhot:

:-offtopic
(I like smilies) He he.Me, too :crazy02:

ButtersCorns4life
01-09-2007, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the advise. I hope I can see MY snake drink... That'll be cool! :crazy02:

Weebonilass
01-09-2007, 07:03 PM
I've only just started seeing Kieran drink and he's five years old. The other day I watched him and he was hilarious. He SNUCK up on the dish very steadily. I'm not sure what he thought might be drinking there, but he seemed to be expecting something... just not sure if he thought it was prey or predator :D

dr73
01-09-2007, 10:05 PM
I am in the habit, after reading about it here, of putting my snakes back right at their water dish after I handle them. A lot of the time, they drink. Zee will even go under water, upside down, and drink.

Nanci
I to handle them an then put them at the waters edge. mosst of the time they will drink.