PDA

View Full Version : Mason is refusing to eat...

Mason is refusing to eat...

MasonDixon
01-11-2007, 04:30 PM
Well snakes not eating threads seem to be the norm right about now, and my snake is also not eating anymore. I tried to feed him on Sunday, he would go up to the pinky like he was going to eat it, nudged it and everything, but then acted like he was scared of it all of a sudden and bolted off. I tried again on Tuesday and he did the exact same thing, he has also been hiding for about the past week but I really dont think he is in blue as his eyes arent cloudy and he doesnt look like he is ready to shed. I know its not really an emergency because he has only skipped this one feeding but this is not like him, he usually grabs the pinky right after I set him down. Does anyone think something is wrong with him or am I just being a worry wort?

nagini
01-11-2007, 09:14 PM
Leave him be for about five or so days, then try feeding him again. How often do you normally feed him?

tyflier
01-11-2007, 09:20 PM
I read somewhere, and I can't for the life of me cite the source, as I simply don't remember, that mice will sometimes urinate on their offspring to scare off snakes, and that it often works, even after the mouse has been frozen and thawed. It also said that washing the pinky with soap will remove the odor of urine, and may help to get your snake interested in the prey. :shrugs: I don't know, but seems worth a shot, to me?

zwyatt
01-12-2007, 01:57 AM
I read somewhere, and I can't for the life of me cite the source, as I simply don't remember, that mice will sometimes urinate on their offspring to scare off snakes, and that it often works, even after the mouse has been frozen and thawed. It also said that washing the pinky with soap will remove the odor of urine, and may help to get your snake interested in the prey. :shrugs: I don't know, but seems worth a shot, to me?

If this method is used, just make sure that the pinky is rinsed thoroughly to remove any remaining soap. The object is just to clean it and not flavor it. ;)

MasonDixon
01-13-2007, 04:27 PM
Well it turns out he was in the process of shedding as I found his skin lying in the tank yesterday morning. I also went to the pet store and got some more pinkies and he ate one last night, so i guess i was just worrying too much. Thank you for your replies, and its nice to know why the soap method works, i always wondered why washing a pinky would induce feeding...

Dave123
01-13-2007, 04:28 PM
Congrats!!! :cheers:

Glad he finally ate.