PDA

View Full Version : Egg care

Egg care

DirtySanchez
04-24-2002, 04:05 PM
I just say my snakes breed. I was just wondering if any new of ways to take care of the eggs. I don't have any of they incubation stuff you see on the nature shows and what not. all i have is two snakes, two 10 gallons tanks, two hiding spots, two branches, two heat pads, and two water dishes. Now i know just cause i saw them breed doesn't mean i will get baby snakes i just want to know just in care it happens and be ready if she does lay

Susan
04-25-2002, 11:12 PM
You don't need anything fancy to care for any possible eggs.
Your female will lay her eggs about 5 weeks from when she was mated. Feed her as normal, but the last few feedings should be smaller prey since she will have alot of her "inside" space taken up by eggs and may have trouble digesting normal size prey.

Go to your nearest Walmart/K-Mart type store and buy a clear plastic shoe box with a lid and a bag of sphagnum moss (garden center). Put multiple air holes in the side of the shoe box. The holes should not be larger than about 1/8 inch diameter. Any larger and you run the risk of having excaped hatchlings.

Fill the shoe box about 3/4 full with moist sphagnum moss (well wet but then wrung out as much as possible by hand). Put the shoe box in with the female at about week 3 (no lid). Replace her standard water bowl with a smaller bowl to prevent her from laying the eggs in her water dish where they will drown.

She should lay her eggs within about a week from her next shed. Sometimes, I have to show a female the "nest" by placing her in it, under the moss.

Mist the moss and mix it up if it starts to dry out alot.

The clear plastic makes it easy to see underneath and tell if the eggs have been laid and not distrub the female. Once I see eggs, I give a female an additional day to make sure she has finished laying. Then, carefully take the female out of the nest, disturbing the eggs as little as possible. If necessary, CAREFULLY remove the eggs for counting and to make sure they are completely surrounded by moist moss, bottom and top. Remove any slugs that are not attached to any other eggs. Take the shoe box out of the female's cage, put the lid on it, and set it somewhere where it will not be disturbed and where it will be warm. The average house temperature can be sufficient, but if you have a warmer spot (around 80 - 85 F), that would be better.
Periodically, check the eggs and the moss, mist the moss if necessary. The eggs should hatch in about 10 weeks.

Good luck!