PDA

View Full Version : how often should it be fed?

how often should it be fed?

lover_not_fighter
01-15-2007, 07:48 PM
alrite.have just aquired a new candy corn semi adult from my sister and was a bit neglected and didnt used to be fed as often as it should so am wanting to start it off on more food then usuall.how often could i feed it?(normal being once a week with two fussies)

Nanci
01-15-2007, 07:50 PM
Do you know how old/big it is? Feeding frequency depends on if it is an adult or not.

Nanci

lover_not_fighter
01-15-2007, 07:54 PM
i would say about 18 inches long?is jus over a cenimetre thick

Nanci
01-15-2007, 08:28 PM
My 16" snake is eating two small fuzzies once every five days.

Nanci

lover_not_fighter
01-15-2007, 08:30 PM
fantastic.will try feeding it once every 5 days then.cheerz for the help guys!

Joolz68
01-15-2007, 08:45 PM
what size meal is it used to? If your sister was neglectful in frequency, she may also have been neglectful in upgrading. If last meal was smaller than 2 fuzzies, go up a little each feeding until you are at optimum size (to reduce a regurge).

lover_not_fighter
01-15-2007, 09:24 PM
it has been fuzzies for quite a while.i remember when sophie used to live at home i used to feed him and it was fuzzies then.doesnt look big enough for and upgrade yet though.last feed i gave him was as soon as i got him which was 3 fuzzies to make up for lack of food and he took them fine(about 4 days ago)

Joolz68
01-15-2007, 09:32 PM
If he can take down 3 fuzzies, he can upgrade 2 hoppers/crawlers (or at least a rat fuzzy) see chart

Joolz68
01-15-2007, 09:33 PM
I mean upgrade to one hopper/crawler (or one rat fuzzy).

lover_not_fighter
01-15-2007, 09:35 PM
right,wasnt too sure there.i guess i underestimate corns slightly am a bit cautous on that aspect sidestep

lover_not_fighter
01-15-2007, 09:36 PM
:sidestep: sozzle ment to do that.opps

SkyChimp
01-15-2007, 10:39 PM
I have a different philosophy. First, I have my corn in a rather large enclosure (40 breeder) with several small hides throughout. Currently, my snake is about 20 inches long. I feed my snake one large fuzzy once a week. It takes awhile for her to get it down, and it leaves a noticable bulge in the gut. It takes about 3-4 days for the bulge to become unoticable. By day 5, my snake becomes active and moves around quite a bit. By the time of her next feeding, the is clearly looking for food. She certainly isn't starving, but she is hungry, and she's moving around getting exercise. She's growing steadily and putting on weight and length. I buy the mice each week - picking mice that are the appropriate size. My goal is to achieve healthy growth without overfeeding.

kingskippy2001
01-19-2007, 12:33 AM
(from Katt) We've had Mishu now for 3 months, and he takes his fuzzies like a pro - or pig - but the guy at a reputable reptile shop that I frequent keeps telling us we should switch to rats, as that's what he uses for his corns, not that he refuses to sell me mice. Is there a preferance, and do they get more out of rats than the mice?
As a matter of fact, I'm also wondering whether a corn can grow too fast. He's flying through fuzzies 2 at a time with no problem (keeping with his original owner's schedule a every 4 days), but his last shed was 3 weeks after another shed. Does this mean he's growing too quickly, or that he's growing well? His measurements are (the best we can tell, as we've yet to invest in a digital scale) 21 3/4 " and 45(?) grams.
Thanks for the help, as always!

kingskippy2001
01-19-2007, 12:33 AM
oh god, sorry! I was on the wrong tab, it was meant to be a new topic tab!!!!!

BeckyG
01-19-2007, 03:47 PM
We'll let it slide this time...

:) :) :)