PDA

View Full Version : Cornsnakes "personalities"

Cornsnakes "personalities"

CowBoyWay
01-10-2003, 01:43 PM
I am Curious about the different personalities people have experienced with there Corns? Any stories?

:D

Darin Chappell
01-10-2003, 05:19 PM
Most of my animals are fine with their personalities (some shy, some aggressive, some down right "friendly"), but I do have one that is . . .um . . .unique, shall we say.

My '01 0.1 crimson is just the MEANEST cornsnake in the world! It doesn't really matter what else is going on, if she can tag you, she will. I think she rather enjoys the game of "catch me if you can!"

http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/data/11826snakepics0012-med.jpg

Looks sweet doesn't she? I'm hoping that when I breed her here in a few months, she'll be lulled into a sense of euphoria deep enough to slow her biting ways for a while. Probably make her even meaner!

:eek:

Alicia
01-10-2003, 05:39 PM
I have a female Crimson 98 model that is very onery. She is something to deal with:D She got me in the face when I was cleaning her enclosure one day, she has a very good reach:p Thankfully Corn snake bites don't hurt.

I also have a female Sunkissed Okeetee(Hypo Okeetee) that is really bad. We always have quite a go before I get her caught and out of the enclosure. Once she is out she's fine with me holding her but will strike at anyone or anything that comes close.
She's a brat:D

All of them have little things about them that are different. I have some real shy ones all the way to the real friendly "hold me" types. I think they are all great, quirks and all!

Alicia
01-10-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Darin Chappell

Looks sweet doesn't she? I'm hoping that when I breed her here in a few months, she'll be lulled into a sense of euphoria deep enough to slow her biting ways for a while. Probably make her even meaner!

:eek:

LOL.... Don't hold your breath:D She does look sweet but looks can be deceiving. My Issy looks sweet too, but I know better:)

CowBoyWay
01-10-2003, 09:50 PM
Any Morph's in particular that like to be naughtier than others?

Any observations on the different locality Corns?
Does locality source make a difference in temperment?

Carolina's naughtier than say key Corns?

Does temperment run family lines in Cornsnakes?

Unregister
01-12-2003, 11:34 AM
lets face it.....

how would we tell a really well behaved snake if there we're no mean ones to compare it with????:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Lizzy

xxxx

Rhiannon
01-13-2003, 04:06 PM
both my corn snakes are really gentle, you can pick them up when they're asleep and they won't mind. I've held them frequently since I got them and I think that does the trick, they're just used to being held.:D

Rachel
01-14-2003, 05:16 AM
My mum's motley ghost has to be the grumpiest snake EVER! He's still young though so heres hoping he grows out of his biting habits! My 2yo male used to be a bit defensive (arched 'neck', rattling tail) but now he's the sweetest snake. He wont disappear when he sees you come into the room if he's out and will crawl onto your hand. The amel stripe is still a bit skittish but she'd still young and the ghost is still on the loose!

MidnightIris
01-16-2003, 02:51 PM
All three of my corns have different personalities, the female amel is something akin to bipolar, as she's either very friendly and outgoing or very skiddish. The male Caramel is an altogether friendly, docile and good natured snake. And the female ghost is very curious, but can be a bit high-strung (although this is probably due to whatever hapened to her before I got her. She was very thin for her length, has a stub tail and was almost too skittish to hold.)

I'll have to see if the amel or the caramel experience any personality changes after I breed them in the spring.

Rhiannon
01-16-2003, 02:58 PM
does anyone have corns that bite them, if so does it hurt at all?

Rachel
01-17-2003, 03:20 AM
yeah, my mums reverse motley is a biter. it doesn't hurt, it's more of a shock when you first get 'bitten'.

Darin Chappell
01-17-2003, 08:11 PM
Rachel,

Could you possibly post a picture of your mum's reverse motley? I would really like to see one!

Thanks,

CornCrazy
01-17-2003, 09:18 PM
it does hurt a little. But it's not a big deal, and the wounds are usually gone by the next day.

Rachel
01-18-2003, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by Darin Chappell
Rachel,

Could you possibly post a picture of your mum's reverse motley? I would really like to see one!

Thanks,

yeah sure as soon as we get a hold of a scanner or digi cam!!

stardust
01-29-2003, 08:32 PM
Ok I am a lizard lover and have many. My daughter whose 16th birthday is coming up and she is a............ you guessed it.......... a snake lover.
So from this thread did I read correctly that Corns bite but they don't hurt?
I have heard to good starter snakes were corns and rosy boas. So just checking out both and trying to find out some info.

Thanks
Rozann:confused:

CornCrazy
01-29-2003, 09:04 PM
hardley ever bite. And I disagree, it does hurt...if it's an adult corn. Baby corns do not hurt. Corns are WONDERFUL beginner snakes. I personally have 25 corns out of 31 snakes.

CowBoyWay
01-29-2003, 11:33 PM
Let her study up and find a morph that makes her go "wow,that's cool" , and get it for her.
Definitely a great (the perfect?) choice for a first snake.
I like Sunglow Motleys for a good "wow" Corn, although they are all very beautiful in there own way.
What a great gift, imho, why it may even spark a life long hobby / passion :)

CORNSNAKE WARNING:
You should know that with Corn Snakes,
one is never enough,
so many morphs and so little time,
a highly contagious form of "acquisition fever " commonly occurs with Corn Snake keepers, around here anyways ;)

Besides there as friendly as a snake can figure out to be :)
see, were on topic ...yea right, uh huh..
(Insert smiley face here)

~CowBoyWay~

P.S. You didn't really expect me to recomend a rosey boa, did ya ;)

Alicia
01-30-2003, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by stardust
Ok I am a lizard lover and have many. My daughter whose 16th birthday is coming up and she is a............ you guessed it.......... a snake lover.
So from this thread did I read correctly that Corns bite but they don't hurt?
I have heard to good starter snakes were corns and rosy boas. So just checking out both and trying to find out some info.

Thanks
Rozann:confused:

Corns are great starter snakes. As far as the biting, I have 32 corns and only 2 are what I would consider regular biters. In my earlier post I said that their bites don't hurt. I probably should have said that they don't hurt ME!! Everyone has a different idea of what is painfull. The comparison that comes to mind is it feels like the rough side of Velcro.
As far as saying Corns are better than Rosy Boas, I can't say that.
Rosy's are my first love and always will be:D

mariska
01-30-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Rhiannon
yes i has my female amel bite me last sundag, while feeding(guess she was hungry)...and she got me good too hihihi wanted to pull my hand into the feedingcage...
and no it doesnt hurt...ofcourse you will feel it and there might even be some blood but not more then a drop
the actual trick is not to scare and pull back your hand, cause the teeth are placed backwards...so if you pull your hand back the teeth will get deeper into the skin...so just let it bite and go with the flow hihihi....tap gently on the nose or blow on the snakes nose and it will let go...
mariska

Ariel
02-02-2003, 01:14 PM
My snake SHED is such a sweetie. She is gentle and I have never been bitten by her. I got her as a baby and she is 9½ years old now. She is very inquisitive and likes cruising around the apt. She hangs out in my shoes & her favorite pair are my Doc Marten kangas :D . People who were afraid of or disliked snakes before have changed their minds after seeing Shed and how cool and nice she is...

PSYCOSNAKEMOM
02-02-2003, 07:21 PM
We have 9 snakes all with different personalities but no biters. Merlin is the shy one but seems to love someone holding him. He crawls up your arm and sits on your shoulder. But I hardly ever see him out looking about. The girls on the other hand come out to check you out as soon as you enter the room. Corn Snakes Rule! Sam ~~~~~~:~

Lyle
02-09-2003, 02:09 PM
My Okeetee has been a people snake since we picked her up 8 mos. ago. She will come to me when I open her tank and climb up her limb and onto my arm. She has never attemped to bite yet. I can always put my hand in there to change water ect. That just promts her to come me. Once she comes out, she will easily go onto to the others in my family, but is weary of strangers and aways looks to come back to me.:D

nelsonfla
02-11-2003, 02:34 AM
I have an amel hypo that will let anyone anytime to pick it up..doesn't even mine the dog.I have an anery stripe that is crazy...One day he bites the next he tries to get out as fast as he can.He also does a "hit as a ton of bricks" attitude when it comes time to feed...Thanks goodness he is still small:-)

13mur 6
02-11-2003, 01:41 PM
I've got one evil blizzard named Lillith. She's a big snake and not only will she bite you the moment she see's your hand, she will constrict as well and make your hand turn blue. The only way I managed to get her off me is get a bucket of water and stick my hand in there till she lets go. I can't say that it really hurts (probably because my hand gets numb), but it is kinda' uncomfortable. I think it's because her pervious owner always fed live animals in the cage and never played with her for the 4 year's he's had her.

On the lighter side. I've got a very shy normal who won't ever get caught outside a hide when there's people around, but she'll get very inquisitive once you lift her hide and pick her up. She'll poke and prod around my arm, likes my hair (tries to get up there and curl up, I look funny, almost look like I have a snake turbin on).

I have a baby amel who's like a guard dog if you come near it's cage. It literally jumps out of it's hide and looks to see what's going on. But it's very docile once you pick him up, some tail rattling once in a while and some jaw flexing, but that's expected of a baby.

I also have a good sized okeetee who's become so domesticated that he pretty much qualifies as a lap snake. You can just pick him up and put him on your lap as you sit down to watch some TV. He'll move around a bit to get a comfortable position and sorta sit there staring at the screen. It's kinda funny, I wonder what he see's in the TV.

-13mur 6

clumsly
06-19-2003, 01:46 AM
mine also do diffrent things like my snow likes ot be high in the cage and likes to climb. my amel is very shy and keeps to her self. and my normal always stays in his special hide.

Sparda
06-20-2003, 11:26 AM
I am a newbie at this, I have 3 corns now with 3 more on the way. (It truly is an addiction:) ) All 3 of them have different personalities. Sparda my first is really sweet, but he likes to hide, you hardly ever see him, Peeper got his name because he is very curious, always peeping out and watching everything that goes on. Piper the female is very shy, but also very lovable. I have never had a problem with biting, but when I first got them they were a little "high-strung" now with handling on a daily basis, they have all calmed down and basically just sit in your hand and cruise a little through your fingers.

AggieTiff
06-20-2003, 12:17 PM
We have a silver queen ghost who is just never happy. She gets pretty upset anytime you first try to handle her, and isn't showing any signs of changing.

We also have an anery motley who thinks he's Superman. He will not sit still for anything or anybody, and has made himself airborne on several occasions. Geez these things are fast...:D

Chip
06-21-2003, 11:24 AM
All of my breeders rattle when I open their cage or remove them. I really don't handle them like pets, though. A couple do bite more readily and even they let you know it's coming by violently swaying to get out of your hands. You then have about 5 seconds to get them in an enclosure. If they bite, it's really not painful, although a gravid female trying to lay eggs being palpated has a very different bite than the typical "leave me alone" strike. I learned this just last week!
(I don't suggest doing that, she had dropped one egg and wouldn't go in her laying box. Had to make sure she wasn't getting egg-bound. She hit me harder than I thought a corn could!):eek:

Marcel Poots
06-22-2003, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by Rhiannon

My nine year old male bit me last week. he has never bitten in the nine years and not even hissed. But I have him on a tough diet right now so he is hungry all the time. He gets one small adult mouse every 14 days. This results in him striking and biting anything that enters the cage. The bites do draw blood but you do almost not feel it (mind you this is a 6' snake)

Marcel Poots
06-22-2003, 03:27 AM
And somethimes it hurts justa little more ;)

bmm
06-22-2003, 03:14 PM
Marcel, I am surprised eating only every 14 days makes him that hungry/snippy!

My adult males are always fed once per 14 days as a rule not as a diet!!!

:)

bmm

Marcel Poots
06-22-2003, 03:21 PM
Yes, but he did not eat since end last summer. Then he started early April this year. So he had only four mice this year or so. Still he is huge and fat. It is easy to give in and feed him some more.. But I won't. ;)

http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/mpoots/Corns/BigMale-10.jpg

bmm
06-22-2003, 04:08 PM
haha yeah.

It seems adult corns really get fat easy.....my males all get waaaay pudgy if I feed them every 7 days. Lazy buggers!

bmm :)

Chip
06-22-2003, 04:51 PM
I guess I didn't notice the animal closely enough while looking at your bites. Wow, I feed my breeders every week to ten days, depending on the individual and whether or not it's c/b. But I can't recall having anything (but black milks) get THAT pudgy! What size enclosures do you use for adults? Not that they are active even in big ones, just curious.

Marcel Poots
06-23-2003, 01:15 AM
http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/mpoots/Corns/HerculesMay0203-04.jpg

This male has a cage that is 4 foot wide and 1.5 foot deep and 1.5 foot high. Would love to have bigger cages for them but I do not have the space. ;)

limey
06-23-2003, 05:04 AM
man when did people start crossing pythons with corns that thing is giant - it looks like it could eat a baby rabbit :-)

As for nasty snakes i have only one a small creamsicle itis either the most highly strung corn i have ever had or it is 99.9% pure evil it bites as much as possible does the whole watch out i am a rattle snake routine and then bitess some more. He even hisses ever time he strikes when he takes food he hisses and strikes (no he doesnt get live food and too my knowlegde never has) the funny thing is everyone loves him and thinks hes a character:p the ven funnier thing is hes was bought by my girlfriend as a valintine present and is called valintine. IN hindsight i think my girlfriend may be trying to bump me off ! LOL

As for the rest of my corns i dont think any off them have ever been any trouble what so ever and i have had quite a few ( Hello every one my names " insert your name" and i am an cornsnake addict :-)

Scorpionking
06-24-2003, 09:57 AM
How old is she, she is really big....

Marcel Poots
06-24-2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Scorpionking
How old is she, she is really big....

I don't know if you mean my snake... but he is 9 years (close to 10)

Scorpionking
06-24-2003, 02:04 PM
:D Yes I mean the snake...sorry....

crissiecross742
07-01-2003, 11:40 PM
I've got some stories... my amel was a very agressive eater, but very friendly snake. She would curl up in my pocket and go to sleep. I wouldn't walk around that way but I would sit an watch her, mostly fascinated until ten minutes later she peeked out.

Cupid... my baby ( not a baby-he's over 2 now) is so sweet he'll sit on my shoulders around my neck or curl around my wrist when I type on the computer..... any wonder why I called him cupid.

My striped anery is very skiddish and can be a real b*%!h when she wants to be, she also trys to jump out of my hand when I hold her, but sometimes I'll stroke her and she wont move, almost hipmotized. She also bit herself once, she missed the mouse and got stuck to herself, that was scarier than ever being bitten. I must be insane, I love the snakes so.

Remember to smile!:D

Lyle
11-13-2004, 12:10 AM
undefinedI have been off for awhile, but my Okeenee corn has been faithfull ever since i got her as a baby for my now wife's 1st dating aniversery. That was 4 years ago. She is friendly to me, a little hesitant with my wife, and children, but has never attempted to strike. I've even brought her to school and had 2 classes touch her, and she loved the attention. She is a perfect companion!

frogurt9
11-13-2004, 11:43 AM
my baby is almost 5 months old now. and he is the sweetest little guy. very very shy, but once you pick him up he just loves to explore everything. he's never bitten, struck at, or threatened me. which i am so thankful for because he's my first snake.

Tracee
11-14-2004, 05:18 PM
My snake is a beast like Marcel's. I feed him every 16+ days but he's still massive due to his extreme laziness. Other personality traits include stupid, inquisitive and delusioned. He thinks he's James Bond.

Godzilla2000
11-16-2004, 07:40 AM
Well, so far my Corn snakes are not the nippy type that I am aware of. If anything they most likely express curious yet very skittish behavior. But fir a more specific itemized list I'll go by each snake.

Gingersnap (Hypo Okeetee) - Ginger tends to be very curious but yet a little hesirtant about the whole handling thing. I will frequently find her always peeking at me or just plain out staring right at me out in the open. She is a little apprehesive about being handled and will freak out, but I think since she's still a baby she just instinctually thinks I am a predator. I think over time she will become a little more acceptable to being handled once she learns I am not trying to hurt her.

Elle (Aztec) - Elle is a little on the shy side, but she is slightly smaller than Gingersnap and O-ren so maybe she's just a tad younger than they are. Most likely she hasn't gotten past the "scared opf everything that moves" phase. She did not take traveling overnight from Florida to New York ery well and added to that was the stress of having to shed her old skin. I do find her peeking out at me every once inawhile so I think she's starting to take babysteps from being shy and skittish to be curious about her new surroundings.

O-ren (Snow) - She is extremely shy and really hates to be picked up from her enclosure. She is constantly hiding. Perhaps as she gets older and gets acclimated to her surroundings and everyday routines, she won;t be as non social.

Snakemommy
11-16-2004, 09:24 AM
My boy's the Sweetest snake ever! He's gentle and comes right to my hand. I really named him right although he's actually named after the great Walter"Sweetness"Payton. I'm so glad I let my kid talk me into getting a corn, I'd recommend a corn to anyone. :)

penny
11-17-2004, 02:43 PM
the female amel is something akin to bipolar, as she's either very friendly and outgoing or very skiddish

As someone who is bipolar, may i recommend lithium or depakote with a bit of risperidone to help with the psychotic features.... :nyah: