PDA

View Full Version : need some help :(

need some help :(

Rain
01-20-2007, 01:25 AM
I started my research on getting a pet snake about 6 months ago, joined this forum awhile ago to read up on expierenced owners, etc. I decided on corn snakes because of this site actually!

I had gear all ready and waiting, just had to wait to find the perfect baby. So, I finally got him (or her, I'm not sure yet) last week on Wednesday. While in the pet store the lady picked him up out of the cage and he turned upside down in her hand, but it really looked like he was just trying to get away from her. I know I had read on her that that is a bad sign. She instantly said that wasn't good and placed him on the floor to watch him move. He was fine, moving like a normal snake. Okay, maybe he was just trying to get away from her.

I put him in a KK for the first week, not wanting to disturb him. On his first feeding I did as the lady at the pet store suggested and placed him in a different container to feed. He turned upside down in the container for a sec, then had normal behavior. I started to worry however. He ate two pinky mice just fine (oh, he's about 12 inches long). I put him into his new tank and he stayed hidden in a paper bag inside his cage. I didn't touch him other than to lift the bag to check on him daily. He's been inside his hidey since Wednesday. Someone came over today so I decided to take him out to show him off, thinking a week and a half would be good time to settle down. I carefully slid him out of the bag and noticed a dot on his neck. Yep, mites. Great. So, i get the KK back out and put a bit of water in the bottom and some paper towels to get the mites off of him. I will clean the cage when i'm done typing. He did his turning upside down bit, drank water upside down, pooped upside down. He started moving around in the tank, then turned upside down, pooped again, and rolled off of the paper towel... I just dont know what to do.

What does snake poop even look like o.O I had a snake a really really long time ago, but it was a snake we couldn't handle, had it in a makeshift cage in our back yard until we could release it away from the city on our ranch.

I know I read on here about it turning upside down, but I'm not having luck with the search or advanced search functions. Probably because I'm really stressed right now, but I could just be lame :P

So, I'm sorry if this post is a something that is asked often, I just really can't find the answer :(

Oh, I've got a 10 gallon tank, UTH, heat lamp (in case it gets on the colder side here), his hidey bag, a cork bark hidey in a corner, and his water dish.

snakemom1961
01-20-2007, 01:57 AM
Sorry to hear bout your baby, I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination. But I think I'd be inclined to return the snake and tell the lady you purchased it from it continues to turn itself upside down. That doesn't sound like a good sign at all. See if the petstore will either refund your money or if worse comes to worse exchange it for a different snake. Sorry I'm not able to help with some info. Hope all goes well for you

Rain
01-20-2007, 02:06 AM
I plan on calling her in the morning, and I was sure to save my receipt (though I live in a very small town, she better remember me lol). It's still sad though. I haven't named it yet because I wasn't sure how to sex a snake, I'll have to come up with something really good if he makes it :P

Jessicat
01-20-2007, 03:21 AM
I know I read on here about it turning upside down, but I'm not having luck with the search or advanced search functions. Probably because I'm really stressed right now, but I could just be lame :P

Do a search on "star gazing".
I don't think much is really known about star gazing at this point but it's definitely not good news. Good luck? Sorry, I'm not much for consonance. Hopefully that points you in an informative direction though.

Nanci
01-20-2007, 07:43 AM
Do you think he could be rolling over, trying to scratch the mites off??

My smallest snake, Inez, especially when I first got her, would writhe over onto her back right away when I picked her up, until she wasn't as frightened. And Zee _always_ ends up on his back when he feeds...

But you shouldn't have to deal with the mites with your first snake. But if you are already attached to him, maybe the petstore could keep him and treat the mites and return him to you if that is successful, and replace him if not?

Nanci

duttyscornsnake
01-20-2007, 09:03 AM
star gazing is when they roll over and cant get up. its uncommon in snakes other than boas and ball pythons(boids) could it be the start of it maybe maybe hes exited whenhe eats and gets a thrill of pooping upside down. anyways mites get this stuff called de flea reptile relief it works great dont getrid of him just yet taketo a exotic vet and have acheckup done. my first corn though awalys tried to bite me when i got her i was ready to return her but i kept shes fine know so don't sweat to much over him may be a phase? :shrugs:

duttyscornsnake
01-20-2007, 09:04 AM
sorry this is so sloppy new wireless key board and in rush

Rain
01-20-2007, 11:05 AM
I remembered last night while laying in bed that I read that upside down thing on a buying guide on a different site :P

He moves funny too, like he's not sure how to move. When I put him back in his tank last night we were watching him, he moves more like when you put a worm in your hand, all crazy like :P

I haven't seen any more mites on him, but I am going to get the mite treatment asap, I've already called the store but they aren't open yet.

I am glad I asked about turning upside down and got some reassuring information, thanks much!

cka
01-20-2007, 11:56 AM
I would take the snake back and ask for your money back or store credit. And I wouldn't spend any store credit on another corn; if there's one mite there are more, for sure. And a healthy snake does not do anything on it's back, except maybe die.

Not trying to be harsh, because it's not your fault the snake has issues. But it's certainly not the corn you want as a first snake. Having to deal with mite relief, vet bills etc. will go a long way to suck the enthusiasm from a new keeper. Mites are a real threat, definitely something that needs aggressive treatment. I've had them (well, my snakes ;) ) and it was a day to day battle. I will say none of them ever turn upside down in any effort to dislodge them; they soaked. A good sign mites are present is when a snake starts to soak in it's waterdish much more than they ever have before.

JMHO take it back and start fresh. Get some experience with a healthy snake before you accept the challenge of a sick one...

bill38112
01-20-2007, 07:14 PM
OK, let's start by acknowledging that I am an old grouch with very decided opinions. That being said...

1. Although some snakes will turn over and "play dead", corn snakes don't. Turning over on the back is never a good sign and can be a sign that death is near or other serious problems. Among the possibilities are neurological damage, or shock caused by loss of blood due to mite infestation.

If your snake had mites when you bought it, chances are the pet store has poor husbandry. Any future purchase will likely have problems as well. I would not accept another pet from them.

2. Your odds of getting a healthy snake are much higher if you buy from a reputable breeder. With a breeder you get a living, breathing reference library you can access for years to come. AND you get much more variety than you will see at the best stocked PETCO. Breeders are generally cheaper than pet stores although you will have to pay for shipping if you do not live close enough to the breeder to pick up your pet. Sometimes you can arrange to pick up your pet at a local reptile show.

3. You might consider buying a yearling or subadult next time. Lots of things can go wrong with a hatchling. Once a snake has made it through that first year the odds of living a long, healthy life are much greater. Plus many hatchlings look nothing like their adult selfs. If you want a specific look to your snake, buy an adult.

Good luck, keep reading. While everyone here wants to help, most of us have limited formal snakey education and experience. So if something sounds odd to you, get backup data from a reliable source, e.g. a vet, published scientific research, an experienced breeder. etc.

Rain
01-22-2007, 07:32 PM
Thank you everyone for your support and thoughts on my baby :)

He is doing much better, so I'm hoping it was just the stress of getting to the pet store, mites, and then coming home with me. I haven't handled him yet other than to move him when I fed him and when I cleaned the tank for mites (actually I made my hubby pick him up that time, lol), I want him to be nice and settled in. He's been exploring his tank more, and likes his hide I made out of tupperware.

I'll take him out again on Wednesday to feed him, so we'll see how that goes! Tomorrow will be the two week mark since I got him :)

Bill, I wish I had thought of getting an older snake first, but I live in a very small town in the middle of no where, so unless I pay for shipping I have to take what I can get. Our pet store here in town is horrible, thats why when I saw they had corns at the other store 40 minutes away I quickly bought one. I would really like to have a larger snake as well, so maybe in a few months I'll look into it :)

Rorryy
01-23-2007, 03:02 AM
I am sorry to hear that your first experience has been less than ideal. My thoughts are with you and your new snakey friend. I hope you don't become discouraged by your ordeal. My first corn snake was ill when I acquired it and died after 2 weeks. Almost two years later I have learned a lot and now have 5 snakes, 4 healthy and 1 BP that is challenging but well worth the struggle and learning experience.

Rain
01-30-2007, 09:22 PM
We've been talking back and forth with the pet store for about a week now, and have decided to have them take the snake back and refund our money. The mites have been a huge problem, but those I could deal with really. The snake still has his turning upside down, which we though may have been due to the mites, but we finally cleared up the mite problem and he shed, and he's still doing it. He ties himself up in knots, he shutters a bit when he moves, and will not voluntarly seek out his water dish. I have to place him in the dish every morning and evening, and he drinks like he's dying of thirst. And it's not like he can't get into the dish, it's a tupperware lid...

:shrugs:

So, we've decided to try to get a yearling from a breeder. If we can't find a breeder around where we live (small town) we'll try Sacramento, CA (anytime) or the bay area (in May).

Thanks all for the wonderful info on this site and the support :) I appreciate it much!

bill38112
01-30-2007, 11:27 PM
So, we've decided to try to get a yearling from a breeder. If we can't find a breeder around where we live (small town) we'll try Sacramento, CA (anytime) or the bay area (in May).

Thanks all for the wonderful info on this site and the support :) I appreciate it much!

I think you are doing the right thing. Your patience will result in a much more rewarding snakey experience. I lived in northern California for 25 years and I know exactly where you guys are. You're right. It's about as remote as it gets. The good news is there are two very good reptile stores in the Bay Area as well as a couple of respected breeders. The stores are Amazon Reptile Center in Montclair and the East Bay Vivarium in Berkeley. Both have web sites, so you can do a little window shopping. They are not your local PETCO. These folks know their reptiles. AND their prices are very competitive.

Good luck, keep us posted. :cheers:

DogStar5988
01-30-2007, 11:48 PM
Sorry to hear about all your troubles. I also live in a small town with one pet store so I know how you feel (I drove 5 hours to get my snake :P) I got it from PetCo but I was lucky and he is very healthy. Its such a gamble with some pet stores as to wether you will get a healthy animal or not. Good luck in your search, hope it goes much better this time. ;)