PDA

View Full Version : quite possibly a regurge problem

quite possibly a regurge problem

spoolin83
01-20-2007, 11:31 PM
i took my normal corn to a breeder in canton, ohio today who has been breeding for 18 years to get another corn snake, but i needed mine sexed first, so he did, and he told me that i needed to step up the feeding b/c i fed her yesterday and he could not notice a lump very much, so i got another. Today there was a substance that looked like a regurge, in the way that it was slimy, but not real slimy and had white in itbut yet i out my nose up to it after i grabbed it with a tissue and it had absolutely no smell, since i just fed yesterday, and i added two more corns, what could that of possibly been? the pics that i have seen of regurge are all looks of the mice/pinkies/etc. this did not look like that, please someone help me, he is in the beginning of his shedding, would that have anything to do with it? :cheers:

Fenderplayer108
01-21-2007, 12:03 AM
Shedding could make the snake regurge, not unknown. I would just treat it as a regurge, that way no harm will be done. Wait 10 days to feed, and feed a smaller item for a few feedings before moving back up. If the snake did regurge, you will be taking the safe side. If the snake didn't regurge, no harm will be done and you will have a nice and hungry snake.

Good Luck,
Ryan Mccullough

Derek54
01-21-2007, 01:18 AM
if it had white in it, its probably not a regurge, cause the white stuff is urates.

spoolin83
01-21-2007, 03:02 AM
if it had white in it, its probably not a regurge, cause the white stuff is urates.

what about the slimy stuff that wasn't white?

Nanci
01-21-2007, 08:49 AM
I think a next-day regurge would be identifiable as a mouse. Most of my snakes have pretty slimy poo- like dark brown pudding.

Nanci

Nanci
01-21-2007, 08:51 AM
So, what's your feeding frequency, anyway, a week to ten days? If you don't know for sure, it sure won't hurt to wait the ten days and feed the smaller meal, then proceed as normal.

Was it a male or female??

Nanci

BeckyG
01-21-2007, 01:02 PM
1. If you handled the snake within 48 hours of feeding, it is quite possibly a regurge. Wait 10 days before trying to feed again.

2. If you introduced two snakes into the same enclosure as the first one, it is quite possibly a stress induced regurge. The problem here is that you don't know which snake regurged--the original one due to the addition of two new competitors, or one of the new ones due to the stress of the move, new enclosure, and two new competitors. They will all have to wait 10 days before feeding--following standard regurge protocol.

3. If you have all three snakes in the same enclosure, and it is some other health problem, you don't know which snake has the problem. If they are in the same enclosure, all three will eventually have the health problem anyway, so you might as well take all three to the vet and get them treated.

4. If you introduced two new snakes without quarantining them first, one of them could have passed something to the first one, and if they are all in the same enclosure, you will have three sick snakes anyway. Might as well take them all to the vet to be treated.

spoolin83
01-21-2007, 06:24 PM
So, what's your feeding frequency, anyway, a week to ten days? If you don't know for sure, it sure won't hurt to wait the ten days and feed the smaller meal, then proceed as normal.

Was it a male or female??

Nanci

it was a girl, i have one girl thats mine a normal, a male hypo, and a male charcol that my dad is keeping in my tank till the middle of the week

Lennycorn
01-21-2007, 07:02 PM
it was a girl, i have one girl thats mine a normal, a male hypo, and a male charcol that my dad is keeping in my tank till the middle of the week

Oh boy, Have you ever heard to quarantin a snake. For health reason.
You can run out and get some 12qt (I think) plastic containers until....

spoolin83
01-21-2007, 07:09 PM

could you explain more into that, instead of halfway explaining it, then stopping

spoolin83
01-21-2007, 07:13 PM

i got them off of a 25 year breeder, not just some pet store

Lennycorn
01-21-2007, 07:19 PM
It is better to houses snakes in their own tank. For health reason for starter.
When you acquire a new snake is is recommended that you quarantine the new snake for health reason. If you are in a bind, I was suggesting getting a 28qt sweater container until you could find a tank if you wanted to houses them in one.

spoolin83
01-22-2007, 02:00 AM
It is better to houses snakes in their own tank. For health reason for starter.
When you acquire a new snake is is recommended that you quarantine the new snake for health reason. If you are in a bind, I was suggesting getting a 28qt sweater container until you could find a tank if you wanted to houses them in one.

the charcol is coming out, if everything works out good the hypo and the normal will be the only ones in there. The breeder i got them off of said that they would be ok, so i am sure that he would replace my snakes, since he is local if something was to happen, plus he has over 200 snakes in his basement, so i hope he would know what he is talking about

matty100
01-22-2007, 03:49 PM
Without wanting to sound abrupt i'd hope that you're interested in giving the best chance to these snakes than rather hoping that this brilliant breeder will replace any snakes that you lose.

If i were you, i'd separate the snakes into individual containers ASAP. There are too many risks involved with keeping multiple snakes together, including but not limited to parasite transmission, disease, stress (could well cause a regurge) and more.

You should also follow the usual procedure as already explained if you suspect a regurge. Do not feed for 10 days then offer a smaller prey item than usual. Providing this is eaten well and there are no further regurges you can slowly increase back to the usual feeding schedule.

If the breeder said to you that the corns would be fine living together then i wouldn't take anything else he has told you very seriously. I don't mean to sound as if i am contradicting him as i'm not, but you should keep them alone to avoid the risks and to give them the best chance of being healthy and growing well.

HTH...