PDA

View Full Version : Food Discussion

Food Discussion

Jaxom
01-15-2003, 07:04 PM
Hello everyone.

Being that im new to the snake deal i have a question for all of you whom have more experience than I. My cute little Ghost Corn is 9inches long, and very small in terms of body width. The pet shop I got it from was feeding it crickets because its not big enough to get a pinky down. I saw a day old pinky and it was twice the size of the snake roughly. Is it ok to keep feeding it crickets, or should i go search for some lizards? (The pet store I got him from "Animal House" dosent seem to cary them.) Should i try and feed him a pinky despite the size? Im really vexed on this.

Thnx for the advice in advanced.

"There is no knowledge that is not power."

bmm
01-15-2003, 07:35 PM
For one, even the smallest cornsnake can eat day old pinkies from birth. There is no need to ever, and I mean ever, fed it circkets. They do not do well on insects and all babies can eat pinkies. I would seriously stop feeding the crickets like yesterday and get yourself a pinkie.

I know it looks to big but please trust me, its not. 9 inches, even 7 inches is not to small for pinkies. Ask for day old pinkies. No corn should be started or fed crickets. Some can be given only pinkie heads, but at 9 inches there should be zero problem with a whole pinkie. Mine were all eating whole pinkies at that time, and right now I have a 8 inch milksnake doing the same.

Pet stores are terrible places for info, and I feel sad for the other corns they might be feeding crickets too. Good luck though!

bmm

Jaxom
01-15-2003, 10:51 PM
:) Thnx alot bmm for your info=) I'll see if it will eat a pinky. *trusts* I just want the best for my Ghost and i was wondering about the crickets... Thnx again and if anyone else has anything to add please do. Im all ears!! (^..^)
:D

Jaxom
"There is no knoweldge that is not power."

dartguy
01-16-2003, 02:09 AM
not only are crickets lacking in the nutrition corns need, they can physically hurt the snake too.....any crickets left in the cage will look for water and can find it from the moisture in the corn snakes eyes blinding the snake-bmm is right, that baby can eat a pinky with no problem and you will see that soon too