PDA

View Full Version : Incomplete shed...

Incomplete shed...

Heather M.
02-04-2007, 03:53 PM
My Amelanistic '06 corn, Corny Joe, started to shed but it is very incomplete.

This is his first shed since he's been with me (Dec. 2006).

The only complete part of his shed is around his head and down his body a little bit...maybe a couple centimeters. The rest is blotchy...some parts are new skin, most is old skin. I tried putting him in his water dish to help loosen the skin up. I also covered up most of his glass aquarium top with paper to keep in some moisture. The only source of heat he has right now is an Under the tank heater.

What should I do? Should there be more sources of heat?

snakemom1961
02-04-2007, 03:56 PM
You may want to try and put him in a container with wet paper towels, or have a damp washcloth and let him crawl through that.

The other thing you could do is make a "moist" hide for him out of a tupperware container and damp paper towels or moss.

Good luck with getting him/her to finish shedding.

Heather M.
02-04-2007, 04:00 PM
Thank you!

I'll try that.

Lennycorn
02-04-2007, 04:15 PM
I agree with snakemom answers.
What is the humidity levels reading anyway??
Next time your snake goes blue you could also try misting your cage too.
But I prefer a humid hide.

Penman6668
02-04-2007, 04:16 PM
The other thing you could do is make a "moist" hide for him out of a tupperware container and damp paper towels or moss.

I did this with my ball python and it worked great. Adding a branch for the snake to rub against may also help.

Markey
02-04-2007, 04:25 PM
I agree with snakemom.

Anytime I see Markey's skin color dulling, I began misting the warm side of the tank. The moss holds moisture extremely well. This really helps with shedding.

I also make sure to have something a bit rough (but safe) for the snake to rub on. Markey always rubs herself on her branches and her wooden hides. Some say you should not have to do this but it works....

Nanci
02-04-2007, 05:22 PM
I think it's time for the wet washcloth treatment. Either watch him soak, or make a container with air holes. Put in a fairly wet washcloth, with 80F water, and let the snake soak on it for about 20 minutes. Then remove him and let him crawl through the washcloth. You can also gently rub the peeling skin. You may have to repeat this. Be very sure that the entire tip of the tail does not have any shed left on it. Let your snake dry overnight, and check in the morning- any remaining shed should be pretty obvious.

Nanci