PDA

View Full Version : two snakes in two weeks

two snakes in two weeks

spongebob
02-05-2007, 02:49 PM
hi i would like to tell you a little story that has happened to me.
On the sun 21/1/07 a friend of mine bought a corn, so i also bought one on the Tues 23/1/07. all was well till a week later my snake died, i took the dead snake back to the shop and he gave me a new one. then two days later my friends had died to. does anyone think that my new one will go the same way.

Markey
02-05-2007, 03:24 PM
I would not purchase anymore snakes from that place. Did the two snakes come from the same batch? Did the third?

Susan
02-05-2007, 03:35 PM
It does sound like a "bad" batch of snakes, but before making that assumption, more info is needed from you. Full details about the viv, temps, feeding, handling, etc of both your snake and your friend's snake will help determine the possible cause(s) of death.

spongebob
02-05-2007, 03:35 PM
I'm not sure my second was in the shop at the same time as my first ( if you understand that ) and they both looked the same size.

spongebob
02-05-2007, 03:47 PM
the temp in my Viv is 27 in the warm and 21 in the cool (both checked daily) handling not at all for the first two days, to once a day for 3 to 4Min's for him to get used to us he did not feed at all when we had him the shop keeper said after he died that he had three snakes in all two were feeding one not, i got the one that didn't. has for my friends I'm not too sure.

Flagg
02-05-2007, 06:11 PM
What are you using for a heat source? Is it regulated with a thermostat or rheostat? What kind of thermometer and where exactly are you measuring the warm sidfe temp?

spongebob
02-06-2007, 02:13 PM
I'm using a heat map the shop keeper gave me he said stick it under the Viv and it will be fine on its own. I'm measuring the temp on the inside of his hide.

Susan
02-07-2007, 06:08 AM
You may want to raise the temp on the hot side a couple of degrees (29-30 C) is better. What sort of substrate do you have and how deep is it in the viv? You may want to check the temp below the substrate as corns often like to bury under it. If the temp there is 29-30 C, then don't change anything.

The pet shop had only 3 corns, 2 feeding and 1 not, now 2 of the 3 are dead and you have the third now...doesn't sound as if your new snake has the odds in it's favor...but lets hope it'll be fine. Is your new snake active and have you tried feeding it yet?

spongebob
02-08-2007, 10:58 AM
very active i fed him last night for the first time it took all of 2 seconds, very happy. iv raised the temp a bit and he is in his hide as we speak a happy fat little snake. thankyou for all your help, hope to speak to you again.

Markey
02-08-2007, 10:59 AM
Great news! I love it when members take the time to update....

spongebob
02-08-2007, 11:01 AM
talking about feeding its time to feed myself