PDA

View Full Version : Pet store let down

Pet store let down

DogStar5988
02-07-2007, 04:25 AM
So until recently I only had one pet store in town who had a fairly consistant supply of F/T mice. However recently they have not had any peach fuzzys, and have been trying to sell me hoppers which are WAY to big. Also a reptile shop just opened a few days ago, but they also don't have the correct size (they have a local "feeder breeder"). Recently I was forced to feed my snake a fuzzy that I had left, and it was a little bigger than I would have liked (crossing my fingers to avoid regurge). Anyway I guess my issue is that I'm not sure if I should just continue feeding the slightly too big fuzzys and longer in between (7 day) or go back to pinkys more often (4-5 day) until I can get ahold of the right size. I just don't like the idea of going backwards after we made some progress. I hate this in-between stage! But what do you think?

Susan
02-07-2007, 06:24 AM
See how you snake handles the slightly too big fuzzy before deciding what to feed next. If Dante keeps it down, then go ahead and continue with that size. As for frequency of feeding the larger fuzzy, watch to see how long it takes for the lump to go away. Feeding every 7 days is already plenty long enough inbetween meals for a snake of Dante's size.

If he regurges, you will have to use a pinky for the next meal anyway, but after that, you could either use 2 pinkies that equal 1 correctly sized fuzzy, or cut some of the large fuzzy off (both legs on one side will slim a too large meal down) and "mush" the fuzzy's head to make it the correct size. I know it sounds gross, but I've had to do it and it works. And a word of advice...cut the legs off while still frozen, narrow the head by "mushing" when thawed.

BRoSKO
02-07-2007, 10:24 AM
See how you snake handles the slightly too big fuzzy before deciding what to feed next. If Dante keeps it down, then go ahead and continue with that size. As for frequency of feeding the larger fuzzy, watch to see how long it takes for the lump to go away. Feeding every 7 days is already plenty long enough inbetween meals for a snake of Dante's size.

If he regurges, you will have to use a pinky for the next meal anyway, but after that, you could either use 2 pinkies that equal 1 correctly sized fuzzy, or cut some of the large fuzzy off (both legs on one side will slim a too large meal down) and "mush" the fuzzy's head to make it the correct size. I know it sounds gross, but I've had to do it and it works. And a word of advice...cut the legs off while still frozen, narrow the head by "mushing" when thawed.

Man your making me hungry over here ! HEHE :crazy02:

DogStar5988
02-08-2007, 02:38 AM
I saw Dante out and about last night (working on his tunnels) so I am going to take that as a good sign. He should be shedding pretty soon so I am not expecting to see much of him really, but I'm glad I at least saw him once.

---Kenny