PDA

View Full Version : changing environments

changing environments

jjunner
04-25-2002, 11:34 PM
I was just curious if my snake (or snakes in general) would get bored if i don't change his cage around every so often. i take him out almost daily, but it seems so boring to be stuck in their all night. Just a thought. oh - and does anyone have any idea's on some fun sort of.. well.. not really toys but.... fun things to put in the cage for him?

thanks.:)

Simon
04-26-2002, 04:27 AM
well actually, they would prefer to stay in the tank and not be touched at all. In fact changin environment all the time would stress them out. It's like getting a new corn, putting it in a new environment. You'll have to leave it for a few days so that it can adapt the new environment. So changing envrionment all the time might even stress the snake.

Well toys.....I'll say just get some branch for it to climb. They just love climbing, it's just natural for them!

Good Luck and Happy Herping!

jim
04-26-2002, 03:58 PM
jeff,
try to look at it from this perspective...
in the wild there is noone to come out regularly and reposition everything in heir habitat and they tend to do quite well. also, if someone came to my house every day while i was at work and moved my tv, after a while it would probably begin to tick me off. good luck :) ---jim

LizS
04-27-2002, 02:49 AM
Well... I see it differently.
Corns are small animals, and in the wild the position of leaves on the ground, twigs, pebbles, animal droppings, mushrooms etc, would change daily. Shrubs and trees would stay put, but lots of changes in smell would happen to those in one day. After a rain, for example, everything feels, smells and looks different. Corns have to be wary, and check everything out when they come out of hiding in the wild. And this is assuming they use the same hiding spot every day (I haven't been able to find info on their use of hiding spots). Having said this, I believe a little rearranging here and there should keep our corns entertained.

jim
04-27-2002, 05:27 AM
liz,
i had assumed (maybe wrongly i guess) that corns were fairly sedentary and often used the same hides/burrows over and over not straying far from familiar ground. i know many snakes are this way but maybe not with the corn. i guess i have a mission now to find out. thanks!! :) ---jim
jeff,
let us know how it goes and i'll let you know if i learn anything. ---jim