PDA

View Full Version : Getting a little worried....

Getting a little worried....

JustineNYC
02-13-2007, 02:28 AM
My Suri came to me on Feb. 1st, I let her settle in 6 days before I started to handle and feed her. Six days after I got her, I fed her half of a pinky rat, she ate it right up in a tupperware container, I took her out of there and put her back into her home, and she didnt come out of her hide for 48 hours.

Today is Tuesday 13th, and she still hasnt pooped.

Here she is, she is sweet as can be and doesnt mind being handled at all...

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g156/HomeDepotGurl/suri2.jpg

The pinky was not regurged, the lump in her belly went away after two days and I notice when I look at her belly, its white and you can see through it....towards her tail, theres dark stuff in there, Im assuming its feces but when is it going to come out?

Also with the exception of the day I got her, she seemed thirty from her trip, I have not seen her drink water (maybe shes doing it when Im asleep) and I havent found any indication of her urinating.

Should I be worried? Should I not feed her again til she poops?

Tavares86
02-13-2007, 03:04 AM
I dont know very much, but I dont think you should be worried, I was thinking the exact same thing when I first fed mine that was 3 weeks ago, I still haven't seen mine drink lol

noobie
02-13-2007, 05:15 AM
Like the previous post i have never seen mine drink etc or poop, i just find suprises when i clean her out :crazy02: i wouldn't be to worried especially if she carries on eating.

Mangrove
02-13-2007, 08:26 AM
there is no need to worry, many times the snakes dissapear for up to 2 weeks into a warm adn secure spot before the come out and "do their business" they can dissapear for real long periods of time, so the is nothing to worry about if it is just a week. I would give it another few days, and feed it again. best to feed 2 weeks after the preious time you fed him. :flames:

Yvonne112
02-13-2007, 11:27 AM
Whenever I put Hendrix back after having him out for a while, I hold him over his water dish, and he always takes a long drink of water, then I put down, and he usually does a lap around the viv before going back into his hide, or wherever he wants to be. Maybe that'll work for you to, it's really neat to watch them drink! As for the poop, you don't always see it, but if you think he hasn't gone yet, try taking him out and letting him crawl along a towel or something, chances are, once he gets active, he just may go. Mine usually does, but now always, sometimes I don't see him go at all between feedings, I only see the evidence when I clean out the viv.

Savvy19
02-13-2007, 03:00 PM
If you are seriously worried, there's nothing wrong with easing his defication along with a little exercise. You can handle your snake for a while, with a close eye on the tail end, and more than likely she will poop. You can also fill the sink with some water (luke warm, not cold) and let her swim in it. That will also get the ball rolling.

Also, if she's due for a shed, as mine recently did, they can hold their poop for a longer period of time, and then "release" an abnormally large amount, haha.

It's nothing to worry about at this point, since she's still getting used to her new home. But there's nothing wrong with keeping a close eye on her. :)

stragen
02-13-2007, 03:26 PM
Also with the exception of the day I got her, she seemed thirty from her trip, I have not seen her drink water (maybe shes doing it when Im asleep) and I havent found any indication of her urinating.
Corn snakes are really sneaky when they drink so its pretty rare to see them drinking, but as Yvonne112 said, if you are particularly worried about it, next time you handle your snake, hold her over the water dish before putting her back in the Viv..... if she is thirsty, she will drink :)

Corn snakes dint urinate as such, it comes out as Urates which dries into a white, powdery, chalk like substance.

JustineNYC
02-13-2007, 03:32 PM
You know whats weird, shes so good when I handle her. She doesnt try to get out of my hands or jet away from me, and it doesnt seem stressful for her, but when I put her back into her viv and my hands are in there (like lifting her hide up to see if there is poop in there) shell coil up almost like shes afraid again. Weird. But like one of you said I guess shes still getting used to everything.

Anyway thank you guys again. I checked again today and no poop, but will keep an eye out!

JustineNYC
02-13-2007, 11:58 PM
Well, I just cleaned out her entire Viv, and in the back behind her vines was a streak down the glass that landed on the bottom of the tank. Its white and black and looks exactly like bird poo. It mustve come out of her when she was laying on the vine.

So now, what the heck is it number 1 or number 2? lol

Yvonne112
02-14-2007, 08:23 AM
it's both...the white is the urate and the black is the poop!

kev1144
02-14-2007, 02:46 PM
How often do you handle him/her?

JustineNYC
02-15-2007, 04:11 AM
it's both...the white is the urate and the black is the poop!

Excellent, that was convenient LOL TY

JustineNYC
02-15-2007, 04:20 AM
How often do you handle him/her?

I waited 5 or 6 days before I started to handle her, and then I would pick her up every day, for a few minutes, and she was really calm, so I continued and then each day held her a little longer, just letting her get used to my hands. But now its past the first week and Im feeding her, so the three days after she eats I dont handle her.

So I guess Im just doing it when I can. I dont do it for long, after about ten minutes she is bored and I can tell shes had enough.

I dont like to hold her far away from her viv.....one, I think when I walk away from her tanks she gets nervous cause she squirms, and two if I dropped her, she is so tiny Id never find her. Id rather be safe then sorry.

I took her out tonight for a little bit cause I knew I was going to feed her and wouldnt be able to hold her for a few days. But its almost like, the next 3 days I wont handle her, and then on the 4th day I handle her, and she hasnt been handled in 3 days and isnt used to it, and we start all over again.

Yvonne112
02-15-2007, 08:14 AM
I won't worry about it to much Justine, as far as handling her away from the tank, I don't really think she'll know how far away she is, and even if she doesn, she'll soon realize that it's o.k. to be with you, away from the viv because eventually you'll put her back. She will learn to trust you more each time you take her out. If you're worried about dropping her, then I would suggest sitting on your bed, or on a carpeted floor when you handle her. Let her explore a bit on the floor, or on your coffee table... it's all a learning experience for her, and the more you do with her, the more she'll enjoy her time with you. Think of her as a dog with no legs..LOL.. she needs to learn all about the world around her, and learn to trust you as well. Don't worry about the days that you don't handle her, she should pick up right where you left off. :)

Yvonne112
02-15-2007, 08:17 AM
one more thing...you say that after 10 minutes she's bores...it could be that she's just relaxed and ready to "hang out" with you for a while. Hendrix will explore for a while, then eventually might curl up in the fold of my arm, or up my sleeve and just relax with me. Once he starts moving around again after that is usually when I put him back because I figure he's looking for home by then. I hold him over his water dish, he takes a drink, then it's off to the hide or a lap around the viv. Hope this all helps a bit!

kev1144
02-15-2007, 08:26 AM
You should be fine. Mine rarely pooped while on pinks, but increased as the diet increased.

stragen
02-15-2007, 02:52 PM
hehehe watch out for those furry poops once he moves up to fuzzys...LOL :wavey:

JustineNYC
02-15-2007, 05:33 PM
one more thing...you say that after 10 minutes she's bores...it could be that she's just relaxed and ready to "hang out" with you for a while. Hendrix will explore for a while, then eventually might curl up in the fold of my arm, or up my sleeve and just relax with me. Once he starts moving around again after that is usually when I put him back because I figure he's looking for home by then. I hold him over his water dish, he takes a drink, then it's off to the hide or a lap around the viv. Hope this all helps a bit!

I dont know if Im at that point with her yet, where shell curl up with me.
Its not that Im afraid Im going to drop her, Im afraid if I put her down on the bed, she is going to take off and I wont be able to find her/catch her. Shes a quick little thing. Ive only had her 2 weeks, and although she is calm when I handle her with my hands, when she in not in my hands and I approach her, she takes off as far as the viv will let her. Makes me think if I put her down, shell jet and end up in the corner of the back of my closet or something. I guess Im just nervous cause shes tiny........and fast LOL

Shouldnt I wait for her to become more used to me, before I start putting her down in the house? Its not like she comes to my hand, I have to pick her up myself.

Oh by the way, I tried the water bowl thing, holding her over before I put her back, and she drank, TY!

Yvonne112
02-19-2007, 08:28 AM
well, if you think she'll take off on you, then you have to be in a space that's safe for her, maybe on your bed, with pillows all around, chances are that if she takes off, she'd just go right under one of the pillows where she feels safe. I think the natural instinct is to be under something or right beside something where it feels safe, rather than right out in the open. She'll get better each time you handle her. I'm glad she drank for you, it's pretty neat when they do that ! :dancer: