PDA

View Full Version : air fresheners harmful???

air fresheners harmful???

BarbwireNRoses
02-16-2007, 05:21 PM
My snakes tank stinks a lil bit. I spot clean every time she poops and change the shavings and clean her tank every 3-4 weeks but it still smells a bit. If I put an air freshener in my room will that be detrimental to her lung health?

Cflaguy
02-16-2007, 07:42 PM
for this subject. She is into birds and we apply that to our snakes.
No fresheners. NO FEBREZE! Only Yankee Candles. As far as cleaners go, we use Odoban. All natural. I hate the smell, but it is safe.

mbdorfer
02-16-2007, 08:30 PM
My snakes dig Nag Champa, burning from a distant room.
No ill effects :cool:

plasticknives
02-16-2007, 09:38 PM
i use nag champa too, but not to cover a smell- i've really never found her to smell at all so its never really been an issue. Maybe you should consider sticking them on paper towel, or something easier to immediately spot when you need to clean?

mbdorfer
02-16-2007, 10:18 PM
i use nag champa too, but not to cover a smell- i've really never found her to smell at all so its never really been an issue.
Absolutely <-----corporate "buzz" word :grin01:
I never have an issue with odor, even with 32 snakes and no cleaning lady!

bitsy
02-17-2007, 10:19 AM
I'm sure I've heard of the plug-in type of air freshener linked with otherwise unexplained deaths in Corns. Too much of any chemical in a room with snakes is always a potential problem - air freshener, cleaners, deodorant, they're all banned from my lounge, "just in case".

Generally speaking, if you spot-clean, you keep smells to a minimum. However, mine have impeccable timing and always dump a load just as I'm expecting visitors - enough time for me to muck out, but not enough time for the fug to clear! I use reptile-safe T-Rex Bio-Fresh, which does the trick. It's nice enough to use round the room as well as inside the vivs.

Drizzt80
02-17-2007, 10:57 AM
If there is still odor from you tank after a change of bedding every 2-3 weeks, I'm wondering if you are cleaning out the enclosure with soap or bleach? The odor should be gone if you are doing this. :shrugs: The odor you are smelling may be from the aspen (or other bedding?) you are using as well. I got a type of chipped aspen from SunSeed once as a trial, and it was ridiculously smelly! :wavey:

D80