PDA

View Full Version : Time feeding different size mice

Time feeding different size mice

rosecat
02-20-2007, 08:29 PM
I am acquiring 2 baby corn snakes that are about 10" & 12" long. I was wondering approx how long (weeks) they will be eating each size of mouse? I am going to put in an order for frozen mice, and since this is my first time owning snakes wasn't sure how long on average it takes them to graduate sizes? The place I'm ordering from is www.themousefactory.com

Thanks!
~Rosecat

Jrgh17
02-20-2007, 08:58 PM
Just so you know, mouse size is usually judged on the width of your snake. The "go-to" rule is feed prey items no bigger than 1 and 1/2 times the width of the snake at it's widest point. I think with your snakes both being hatchlings, you'll need at least another couple months of pinkies. Also, if worst comes to worst and you order too many, you can feed two pinkies per meal. Sorry I can't give you more specific answers, but good luck!

(And post pictures :))

Lennycorn
02-20-2007, 09:03 PM
I'm guessing 50 pinky's, 50 fuzzy and hoppers just to get you going. And maybe 100 adults. The f/t feeders can last over a year if sealed properly.
The Mouse factory will help you out too. If it your first order they prefer you call them first so you can talk it out with there too.
The trick I do is once you open a vacuum seal bag, but it in another ziplock freezer bag and then a flat type Tupperware container.
If that made sense. :shrugs:

rosecat
02-20-2007, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the advice! I'll post pictures soon :)

Lennycorn
02-20-2007, 09:27 PM
Just re read you post.... Do you have the snakes "in hand" or are you going to be getting them soon?

rosecat
02-21-2007, 12:22 AM
When I originally posted I didn't have them, I had gone to look at them earlier today. But now I have them. One is black albino, the other is the normal color.

~Rosecat