PDA

View Full Version : are regurges common??

are regurges common??

zakee846
02-21-2007, 06:30 PM
ive heard alot about snakes regurging and how it is so common, well is it common? has anybody here had a snake regurge and did they live? i want to get a corn snake but i know that if there is a problem, it will happen to me so im trying to know what to do in every bas situation before i get my snake.

DogStar5988
02-21-2007, 06:34 PM
Mine has regurged before, its only a big problem if it happens alot because they will starve to death. Do a search for "regurge" and you will pretty much find every possible scenario to study up on. Good luck

---Kenny

wisconsin
02-21-2007, 08:00 PM
yes regurges are common with feeding them prey to large for them. ie. over 1.5 times their thickest girth.
if you are worried about your snake regurgitating feed him the smallest pinkies available, sometimes the head is good enough.
always start small and work your way up, than the other way around.
also make sure your temps are good
85-90 on warm side (try staying below 90 though)
and 75-80 on cool side---try not to go below 70

zakee846
02-21-2007, 08:03 PM
2 more questions... has any one ever had a snake regurge for no apparent reason?
is it ever bad to feed them to small a meal?

Nanci
02-21-2007, 08:04 PM
The only regurge I had was caused by prey too large. I had a feeling at the time that it was too big, but I ignored it. I waited ten days, fed a smaller meal, and Maizey has been fine ever since. But she's a big resiliant adult.

Nanci

zakee846
02-21-2007, 08:06 PM
thanx that makes me feel alot better,,, by the way, have u ever had a snake escape even thought the viv seemed secure????

Nanci
02-21-2007, 08:18 PM
All my vivs except one are Critter Cages, with the sliding lids. I do not worry once I hear the click. No way anyone is getting out.

Choco's viv has a home-made wooden/mesh lid. I put another layer of 1/8 inch hardwear cloth over it the day after I got him. And I put a big Gatorade bottle and a big water bottle on top of the lid. As long as I am sure it is set right, I don't worry.

My only escape was out of a plastic shoebox feeding bin. Maizey was on a six week feeding strike, and had been offered a rat pup, and declined. The pup was starving and crying, so the next morning I gave her another chance at it. I was pissed. I didn't close the lid tightly, and when I went back to check, she was gone. I found her within five minutes of tearing the laundry room apart, in the disconnected dryer outlet hose, which dumps out underneath my house. She was facing out into the house. We had a big SWAT team operation where Greg quickly pulled out the dryer and I reached in and grabbed her. She was like, WTF?

Now I am super, super careful to make sure feeding bins are closed tightly. More often than not, I put something heavy on top, too.

Nanci

zakee846
02-21-2007, 08:22 PM
thanx, i am very paranoid lol

tyflier
02-21-2007, 08:51 PM
zakee-

The best advice I can give you is to thoroughly research the proper way to care for a cornsnake. If you use a proper setup, regulate your temps. and humidity properly, and always feed appropriately sized and completely thawed food items, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Some snakes get sick no matter how careful you are. Others will survive, no matter how careless. Corns are a fairly resilient species, and proper care will go a long way toward a healthy and happy snake...and snake-keeper.