PDA

View Full Version : Damiens Food "part one"

Damiens Food "part one"

Pet Corn Snake
02-22-2007, 12:14 PM
Hey guys as you know ive recentally changed damien to mice, every since he was young he was on rat pinks, and recentally i fed him two crawler mice, ive just been to the shop and found some better mice, although i think they may be too big, there "small adult mice" however there about 3x the size of the rat pink :/

heres a picture, let me know what you guys think, should i feed him, and if he cant handle them what will happen? will he choke?

DaemoNox
02-22-2007, 12:24 PM
Can you show a picture of him, or his widest part?

Pet Corn Snake
02-22-2007, 12:48 PM
Here : :))) Personally i think he may struggle, however i havent seen him try on bigger food its always been too small for him :/

Nanci
02-22-2007, 01:04 PM
How about the food with Damien? I think the small adult may be too big, but I'm not sure.

Did your mom get the new camera???

Nanci

Pet Corn Snake
02-22-2007, 01:05 PM
yea lol but the picture aint great :/ ill be getting my own eventually, if i try damien with one will he choke or regurg? and witch one is worse?

Nanci
02-22-2007, 01:15 PM
The pic quality is _way_ better than your cell phone pics used to be!

Yes, if the prey is too big, Damien could regurge. One regurge from a too big prey probably isn't going to kill him, but you seriously would want to avoid that.

I don't know about choking- snakes are really good at forcing things out backwards that they don't want to swallow.

Try to get a pic of Damien and the small adult mouse together. We can tell how big the mice are relative to each other, but not to Damien.

Nanci

Pet Corn Snake
02-22-2007, 01:23 PM
okay, so i put the mice next to damien for a picture - what if he tries to eat it? and its frozen!! :/

tyflier
02-22-2007, 01:55 PM
George--

The food should be 1.5 times the width of the widest part of your snake's body. IF your snake can't swallow it, he will spit it out. I've seen this with Sammi Snake when I bumped her to fuzzies about 3 feedings too soon. IF Damien is able to swallow it, and your temps are good, he *should* be able to digest it, however, you will need to watch him to ensure that the lump goes away within 3 days or so, and that the lump definitely doesn't get any larger. Larger would be a sign of bad-bacteria growth, meaning the prey is actually rotting before it can be digested. That will result in a regurge 100% of the time.

So use your best judgement in determining the size of the prey that is best for Damien. If you decide to move up to the larger prey item, just be watchful for at least the first 3-4 days after feeding, to be sure that the lump is going away, and Damien hasn't regurged.

Good Luck, and let us know what happens...

Nanci
02-22-2007, 01:55 PM
Aren't the mice in something? Just get it all set up, then set the mouse down next to him at the last minute. If he bites it (which I doubt he will) just take it away!

Nanci

Pet Corn Snake
02-22-2007, 03:06 PM
Ill have to take the picture tomorrow when i have more time, i dont think i will be giving this food to damien, i Really dont want to cause him any discompfert or pain :/

George.

MegF.
02-22-2007, 06:50 PM
I don't see why he couldn't take a large mouse hopper or a very small adult mouse. The frozen mice I used to get were quite small for adults.