PDA

View Full Version : Am i right to worry.

Am i right to worry.

spongebob
02-22-2007, 01:06 PM
:headbang: [/FONT][FONT=Arial Black]my snake wont eat after his. he shed 4/5 days ago. am i right to worry.

spongebob
02-22-2007, 01:09 PM
:headbang: [/FONT][FONT=Arial Black]my snake wont eat after his. he shed 4/5 days ago. am i right to worry.

sorry ill try agian. my snake wont eat after his shed. he shed about 4/5 days ago. am i right to worry.

Brizzle
02-22-2007, 02:35 PM
Nope, I wouldn't worry.
Just try again in a few days.

MegF.
02-22-2007, 06:50 PM
How old is this snake?

spongebob
02-23-2007, 08:47 AM
he is around 3 months old i think he's shed twice (once in the pet store and once for me) iv had him 4 week's and he's fed once for me not sure about in the pet store.

diamondlil
02-23-2007, 11:32 AM
There's a really good range of threads about feeding problems on here, as well as the FAQ. The first thing I'd suggest is to check and double-check your husbandry, as problems in the temperature provided can be a common cause of snakes not eating or regurging. Good luck

Plissken
02-23-2007, 01:27 PM
I definetly wouldn't be worried yet. 4/5 days is no time at all for a snake to go without food, and in that time period you should have only tried to feed once. If you're constantly trying to feed the snake, it can get stressed and just worsen the problem.

Just try to feed once a week and see how it goes. Good luck!

spongebob
02-26-2007, 02:37 PM
well its been almost three weeks since his last feed with a shed in betwean and still no luck i tried one today and turned his nose up at it. I'm getting really worried has iv had one die on me all ready due to not eating.

Plissken
02-26-2007, 03:01 PM
Less than three weeks is not a long time at all for a snake to go without food. Your snake isn't starving, relax ;) There are plenty of things to try.

First off, exactly how you are feeding the snake? If you don't already, I recommend you make the room very dark when you feed. One of my snakes refuses to eat if the lighting is too bright. If you can't get the room dark, cover the feeding tub (make sure snakey can breathe tho) and leave the snake alone with the mouse for a while (assuming you are feeding f/t.)

Again, if you don't already - try braining or slitting the frozen thawed mice (cutting the head or back, as the fresh smell can sometimes encourage the snake to eat.)

It's important that you minimise stress as much as possible between feedings. Avoid handling your snake as much as possible until he/she has fed.

Remember not to keep pestering your snake with food - once a week is plenty. The methods I have given you are by no means an exhaustive list, so don't panic if it still doesn't work out for you - plenty more tricks and tips for problems feeders :)

Good luck!

spongebob
02-26-2007, 05:17 PM
i put a dark towel offer his Viv when feeding, iv tyred slitting the head, not slitting the head, wet thawing,dry thawing but still nothing.

spongebob
02-26-2007, 05:52 PM
i put a dark towel offer his Viv when feeding, iv tyred slitting the head, not slitting the head, wet thawing,dry thawing but still nothing.
i ment to say over not offer. when would you try again.

MegF.
02-26-2007, 07:43 PM
Have you tried washing the mouse with Ivory or some other mild soap, drying and feeding? Have you tried lizard scenting?

Plissken
02-27-2007, 01:58 PM
i ment to say over not offer. when would you try again.

I would offer food once a week.

diamondlil
02-27-2007, 02:06 PM
Have you thuoght of ttrying live? Contrary to popular belief it's not illegal in the UK, as long as it's not in public and not just for kicks. If you can get a live pink to try, it could kick-start the feeding response for you

spongebob
02-28-2007, 10:15 AM
Have you thuoght of ttrying live? Contrary to popular belief it's not illegal in the UK, as long as it's not in public and not just for kicks. If you can get a live pink to try, it could kick-start the feeding response for you
iv tried getting one but the shops i go to wont get them for me and there is no way the wife will let me breed them.

diamondlil
02-28-2007, 11:57 AM
Well just another thought then, have you had a quiet word with any herp shops or corn breeders in your area? Any breeders should have a link to someone who can help out. It's a shame it's so hush-hush in this country due to all the bunny-hugging propaganda, and the widely held misconception that it's illegal

spongebob
03-05-2007, 01:40 PM
i may have got a link to some one who breeds rats could the change from mice to rats help at all.