PDA

View Full Version : Sheds great until the end...

Sheds great until the end...

Damiera
02-24-2007, 12:05 PM
Hi there. Wasn't sure if I should post this topic under here but I think it best suits it...

I have had my baby corn for about 3 months now and he has shed 4 times. First time completely head to tail no problem.
Second time completely but for about the last inch on his tail.
Third time same as second so I could see it was bothering him so I soaked his tail and rubbed it gently with my wet fingers until it came off.
Fourth time it was the same thing and then my soaking it off.

Should I be worried that it seems to be so tough for him to get this part off? I watch as he sheds and it's like hot butter until he hits that one spot on his tail and then it's tug-o-war until the skin snaps off leaving that part of the tail behind. Is there something they may have caused this to happen? Accidental injury there or something?

Thank you for any of your comments and any information you can give.

snakemom1961
02-24-2007, 12:09 PM
The only advice I can think of is to have a humid hide available for him when he is ready to shed. I just had my baby shed for the first time for us this morning and it was a horrible shed. So next shed I will be using a humid hide myself. Hope this helps you some. Good Luck !

Damiera
02-24-2007, 12:10 PM
I've never heard of a humid hide. Can I just go to the local pet store and ask for one or is it something I have to do myself?
Sorry but I am very new to snakes.

Tula_Montage
02-24-2007, 12:24 PM
You can make one using damp moss.

Personally I never offer moist hides, I just "accidently" spill water on the warm end. Or mist heavily a day or so after they clear from blue. Never had an incomplete shed from anyone :shrugs:

Damiera
02-24-2007, 12:29 PM
Thanks. I will try that. I noticed since I don't have my 90 gallon fishtank running that it isn't as moist in here and the first complete shed he had was when it was here. Maybe I will look into getting a humidifier for the room. Should benefit us both...haha!

Jrgh17
02-24-2007, 01:06 PM
Until then, you can pick up a clean spray bottle at Walmart (or whatever) for under a dollar. Once you see your snake go blue, start misting the cage once a day or so. If you don't have a humidity gauge, I would also suggest that you pick one up.

tyflier
02-24-2007, 01:12 PM
You can make a humid hide very easily out of a small tupperware container. Just cut a hole in the top big enough for the snake to crawl into, and line the interior with moistened papertowels.

My cornsnake has a very tiny tip of her tail that is weird. The last centimeter or so is curled. It looks like her tail tip may have been closed in a sliding glass door or a snap-closed type of plastic lid before I got her. So I have to help with her tail tip every tim she sheds.

My two kings are in blue now, for the first time since I've had them. I can't wait to see what they look like with a fresh suit on...