PDA

View Full Version : I've made a huge mistake?

I've made a huge mistake?

heafer285
02-24-2007, 08:43 PM
So I think I have made a huge mistake. It pains to retell this story but here goes. My snake Sophie Aurelia was really downing the pinkies I was feeding her. Thing were going so well that I thought she was ready for fuzzies. She was pretty close to being within the 1-1.5X range of the fuzzie so I thought she was ready. I tried to feed it to her but she was struggling. It wasnt going well and after 45 minutes of her trying to get the fuzzie down and making no progress Eventually I started to fear what would happen if she continued trying to swallow this thing. I took it away from her which Im sure didnt make her happy. My question though is; are there things I should be aware of now. What should I be concerned about or look for now that this has happened?

Jrgh17
02-24-2007, 09:01 PM
Did you try two pinkies before you went to one fuzzy? That seems to be a common "halfway" step. Also, how big are the fuzzies you're getting? Some petstores tend to have only 3 sizes: pinkies, "fuzzies" (actually closer to weanlings or subadults), and adults. You could try ordering peach fuzzies or smaller fuzzies online too.

DaemoNox
02-24-2007, 09:02 PM
I wouldnt worry too much, there is really nothing to be concerned about. Some snakes when getting a bigger meal will take longer to either swallow or realise its too big, and some just take longer, often taking breaks while swallowing. They wont choke or hurt themselves. How far down did she get? Whats great about snakes is that they often dont need assistance in matters they got themselves into (besides getting stuck on tape). Even through captive breeding they've still retained the great survival instincts, and if they are doing something silly and are in no immediate danger I usually leave them be to figure it out themselves. Next time I would try a fuzzy again, maybe one a little smaller if your worried, I would give it to her and wait about 45 minutes to an hour before checking on her.

tyflier
02-24-2007, 09:32 PM
Daemonox has given you good advice.

When I gave my corn her first fuzzy, she struggled with it for about half-an-hour before she finally realized it was too big, and spit it back out. Next 3 feedings were large pinkies/peach fuzzies, and than finally, a full size fuzzy, which she handled quite nicely. Sometimes, they just take their time. If they can't swallow it, they will spit it out...

heafer285
02-24-2007, 10:36 PM
Thanks to everyone who answered my post. I appreciate you being so willing to share you knowledge and experiences with me.

plasticknives
02-24-2007, 11:05 PM
:-offtopic not to make light- but does anyone watch arrested development?

:grin01:

....I've made a huge mistake......

tbtusk
02-24-2007, 11:23 PM
:-offtopic not to make light- but does anyone watch arrested development?

:grin01:

....I've made a huge mistake......

Ya lol.

How dare they cancel that show!! :angry01:

DogStar5988
02-24-2007, 11:57 PM
My petstore sold me fuzzies that were HUGE compared to normal fuzzies, so it took a long time before my snake could get one down easily. Luckally a new reptile store opened and I got a nice bunch of peach fuzzies that are the perfect size. So I would look around and see what other stores sizes are, or maybe check back in a few weeks and see if they got anything smaller.

---Kenny