PDA

View Full Version : What is this?

What is this?

heafer285
02-24-2007, 10:33 PM
I went to check on my snake tonight and noticed something that seemed to be new. I have included pictures which are suspect but I have yet to master the macro. It looks like something has broken the skin. It is just a little red scrape. My questions are: What should I do to prevent any infection? What are the signs I should watch for to see if she is developing an infection?

Here is a link to a pic that I highlighted to make it easier to see what I am talking about (http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=144435750/PictureID=2929557170/a=88914886_88914886/t_=88914886)

Susan
02-24-2007, 11:01 PM
It doesn't look too serious. I would suggest that you apply some antibiotic ointment to it (Neosporin or generic equivalent is fine), only use a small amount once or twice a day, and probably either line his viv with paper towels or keep him in a smaller container lined with paper towels, just to help keep it clean and prevent lots of substrate from sticking to the ointment. I'll bet he sheds soon and you'll find it's basically healed afterwards.

Jimmyman28
02-25-2007, 09:57 AM
Are there any remotely dangerous hides in his viv? Like sharp corners or anything like that. Or do you feed him live mice or rats? If you do and your snake is a "butt muncher" (like mine) the mouse or rat may have gotten a little bite. As far as healing it I would totally go with what Susan has posted.