PDA

View Full Version : Butterscotch is sniffling-please help

Butterscotch is sniffling-please help

mommy2-2snakes
02-28-2007, 07:57 PM
I have only had Butterscotch for 2 weeks or so, but she has started to sniffle and not really cough but sneeze. How and why did this happen? Her temps were really cold where I got her from. They weren't taking care of her right. Now I get her and I have had her warmed up and trying really hard to make sure she is warm and comfy, but I think she is getting the sniffles-RI. How do I stop this in it's tracks before it gets bad? I am warming up the hot side to 85-90 if i need to go that high and it is very dry here and right now there isn't much humidity in the tank. Could she have already had the makings of this before i got her or did I cause this?

P.S. I lost a kingsnake to an RI last summer, but I don't think the vet knew what he was doing and I didn't know what was involved with an RI. It was me being ignorant and the vet saying he knew more than he did.Trust me I still feel awful about it. But I have learned alot since then and have done alot of research before we got another snake. We did our homework and learned what being a snake owner entails. So I am terrified of going thru that again. Not to mention we have our BP as well. They are completely seperated in different rooms of the house btw. We take every precaution not to cross contaminate due to butterscotch being new to the family. Thanks and please help.

desertanimal
03-01-2007, 12:43 AM
Where in AZ are you? I can't weigh in on the RI issue, but there is a phenomenal herp vet in the Phoenix area if you're anywhere nearby. Let me know and I'll find the info. for you.

Rocky Raccoon
03-01-2007, 03:38 PM
Take her to the vet already and do lots of research on RI is the advice I can give.

Susan
03-01-2007, 09:27 PM
Warming the temps is an excellent start. 87-88 F should be good for the high end. Is your snake still eating and acting fairly normal? In some cases, simply treating an RI in the first stages is often accomplished simply by raised temps. However, since you've already had some bad luck with an RI in the past, I would recommend that you take your snake to a vet. desertanimal recommends a good herp vet in Phoenix if you need and I would trust that recommendation.

MegF.
03-01-2007, 10:18 PM
Is it possible your snake is about to shed? They can make odd wheezing sounds when they are close.

mommy2-2snakes
03-02-2007, 05:21 PM
She just shed last week and all of it is off. I am not in Phx unfortunately, in northern AZ. But I did find a good herp vet everyone recommended when I started calling around. I am taking her tomorrow to our other vet until I can go on Wednesday to the herp vet. Herp vet is out of town for a few days, so they advised to go and start with my original vet and then come see them on Wed. Right now there isn't much change. She just kind of sneezes and you can feel her do it, but she ate on Thur, with no problem. She doesn't have any mucous or anything, but she will be seen tomorrow and then followed up by what sounds like the only vet that really specializes in herps up here in Northern AZ.

Sorry it took so long to respond, but we were having some DSL issues.

Also I am sure I will have to give her antibiotics with a shot. Is there is good way to go about doing this? She is 4 foot and very strong as you all know. My younger kids can only help so much, but otherwise it would just be me. Any suggestions? Thanks

MegF.
03-02-2007, 05:43 PM
The vet should instruct you as to the proper way to administer antibiotics. There is a certain spot in the muscle that's best and many of the injectable antibiotics require fluid therapy as well to avoid kidney problems and muscle injury. They should help you with all that. If you do have to inject, I would think that the kids can help hold her still while you do the injecting.