PDA

View Full Version : Probiotic use in captive reptiles

Probiotic use in captive reptiles

CowBoyWay
01-28-2003, 01:06 PM
Pro biotic use in captive bred exotics continues to grow more common due to the positive results from using benificial bacteria as part of a animal husbandry program.
Exotic animal keepers have been achieving overall healthier, more disease resistent livestock with pro biotic use.

A popular (authentic, original ) product is made by Pet Ag and is called Bene-Bac.
"Bene-Bac Pet Gel is a concentrated source of live, naturally occurring microorganisms for both birds and reptiles.
It supplies beneficial bacteria to the digestive tracks."

I use a product called Prime from hagen as part of a vitamin / calcium regimen for my birds, snakes and tortoises.
It contains pro biotics as part of its formulation as does "Blair's super preen", I believe.

I add ten percent by weight of powdered Bene bac to the 50/50 blend of "prime and Calcium D3 powder. Obviously, I believe it to do positive thing to there intestinal "flora".
I dip a mouse butt in the powder, most /every other Corn snake feeding , yum,yum.

" Bene-Bac
provides 5 different species of beneficial bacteria to protect your reptile's fragile gastrointestinal system. Your reptile's digestion can be easily upset by changes, stress, and medication, and Bene-Bac replenishes the natural microorganisms that are disrupted under such conditions. Comes in 1/2 oz. gel form in an easy-dose syringe or in a powder in an economical 10 oz. jumbo jar. "

Any believers / naysayers on this subject out there. What say yee?

CornCrazy
01-28-2003, 02:42 PM
I only use it when it is indicated, however. For example, for a snake that is regurgitating or has diarrhea. It really seems to help. I have just recently started using probiotics and I am very pleased. I have seen it used for quite some time, though. We use it at the clinic where I work.